Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
Let's say you are buying an iPhone 4S from somebody on Craigslist. How can you tell the difference between the 4S and an iPhone 4?

forcetactic

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
4S will have 4 black bands total AND a sim card slot.

4 will have 3 bands and sim card slot or 4 bands no sim card slot

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Count the antenna breaks a look for a SIM card slot. An iPhone 4S has four breaks and a SIM slot. A CDMA iPhone 4 has four breaks, but no SIM slot. A GSM iPhone 4 has three breaks and a SIM card slot.

Electric turd

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
is it a verizon or at&t iphone? the at&t has 3 breaks in the band around the side, the 4s has 4. The verizon iphone 4 has 4 breaks also but it doesnt have the global icons on the lower half of the back

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
The verizon iphone 4 doesnt have the break there

Good point.

The existence of that CDMA iPhone 4 ruins all the visual methods mentioned here, now that I think about it. (Or, at the very least, makes it very, very confusing. Even if there is a way to tell it now turns into a maze-like "if this and that and this" kind of thing. Best to not get into something like that.)

OP - You have to fire up the software and look in the 'about' section to really be sure. EDIT: And, yikes, even then it doesn't say by name. Does anyone know how to interpret the 'model number' code listed in there?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Or look at the model number printed on the back.

Since the OP is trying to avoid getting scammed, I don't see that checking the most-easily replaced part of the phone helps all that much.

I know we've gone past the 'sane and simple' methods to the 'insanely specific' methods, but I assume that's why someone would come ask Macruomors posters in the first place!

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Here's a suggestion. The seller should have the original box. If not, you run a higher risk of the phone being stolen. The IMEI/ESN on the box should match that in the phone settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.