Is there a way to trade in for an iPhone 3g? (Not 3gs)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JennaLDS, Aug 9, 2009.

1. JennaLDS macrumors 6502

JennaLDS

I have a 1st generation iPhone and I was told by a friend that they traded theirs in for a 3g. Is this possible or were they pulling my leg? I said before that I wanted to keep my 1st gen, but... The case that I want or cases are ONLY for 3g and up. There are more reasons I want to trade in but spilling my guts about why is really boring.. sooo.. can anyone help?

I am NOT eligible for upgrade until next year. And I dont have the money to pay full price, but I get my school money in September, and I can use that to help pay for the new phone. And I do not want the 3gs. At least not right now. Thanks!~;)

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You could sell your phone, but other than that Apple doesn't offer a trade-in. If your friend had their phone replaced because of a problem, however, it would probably be with a 3G.

3. Surely Guest

Surely

If your friend is telling the truth, then he was just lucky. It is not an Apple policy to replace a 1st gen with a 3G. Most likely, there is more to the story or he is lying.

Why wouldn't you want the 3GS? :confused: Because it's better?

4. JennaLDS thread starter macrumors 6502

JennaLDS

'

I just figured that if I had to pay a difference (had he been telling the truth) then I wouldnt have to pay as much with the 3g versus the 3gs... I am about to check on my upgrade availability..

5. jason221 macrumors 6502

The 8 GB black iPhone 3G is still on sale for $99 (when eligible for upgrade). That would make it $299 if you're not eligible, I believe, although it depends on when you are eligible.

6. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Nope. It's $499 without an upgrade.

It goes $499/$599/$699 for no upgrade prices.

7. infosprt macrumors regular

I noticed a couple days ago that AT&T has Refurbished 3G phones for $49.

You need to be qualified for the upgrade though to get the price. The $30 per month data cost can make any iPhone expensive (additional $720 dollars over a 2 year period).

I'm looking forward to the day that a iPhone works as a cellphone and a Internet browser over Wifi only eliminating the $30 data cost. At home the data over EDGE is so slow it is practically useless. And we don't have 3G in our area. So the $30 data plan is pretty much wasted in our case.

8. Surely Guest

Surely

^^^^^ $30 a month is not expensive. It is $1 per day.

9. macbookhamburg macrumors regular

I know you have more reasons, but a couple of three 3g cases fit pretty good on my 2g phone :-O mostly the snap n ones

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I REALLY doubt that this would happen. My 2G's warranty goes until Dec of this year, I'm willing to be that Apple has enough 2G's in stock to cover people who bought 2G phones and are still covered under Applecare.

11. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Ok, then how does that explain that the last time I was at the Genius bar the lady next to me brought in a faulty 2G and was given a refurb 3G?

12. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Hang on, do you have Applecare?

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

On my 2G, not on my 3G. 2G was given to me in Dec 07 as a B-day present from my girlfriend, I purchased Applecare on it in...late Dec or Early Jan(I can't remember, I was in CA when she gave me the phone and didn't get Applecare until I got back home) of '08, which would extend coverage until Dec. '09. Even if you bought launch day, the Applecare would just have expired a month or so ago.

14. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Buddy, if I could explain 1% of the stuff that goes on between MacRumors posters and Apple Genius' I'd consider myself lucky. That said, I have no idea. Lucky with their Genius? They paid something before/after you got there? Cosmic interference? All I'm saying is that if this was a company accepted policy, why would anyone pay to upgrade? They could just wait for a problem with their existing device and then upgrade for free.

15. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Oh ok, how about Mac computers? If there's a new model out and your computer has been repaired three times it gets replaced with the new model, not the old one. That seems to go against the company accepted policy that you are hinting at. Once Apple runs out of refurbished 2G they have to give them a 3G because there is no more stock. Apple is not going to make 2G phones so they can specifically give them out to customers having problems with their current 2G.