Is there a way to transfer video files onto an iPhone/iPad so they appear in the Photos app?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nelsonammo, May 19, 2016.

1. nelsonammo macrumors regular

I have some video files I am trying to transfer from my iPhone 4 to my iPad Air 2/iCloud. They are on my iPhone 4 in the Photos app and are tagged correctly with all the date/location metadata. I want to transfer these files to my iPad Air 2/iCloud. Because the iPhone 4 is on iOS 7, the iCloud stuff is not fully compatible so when I got my new iPad Air 2, everything transferred except the photos and videos. I manually was able to transfer the photos but can't get the videos to appear in the photos app.

The workarounds I've figured out are:

1) Copy the files manually from the iPhone to my computer then to my iPad via iTunes. This gets the video files onto the Videos app on the iPad but they lose all the metadata and don't appear in the Photos app.
    2) E-mail a copy of the videos to myself from my iPhone to my iPad. The problem with this is that you can only e-mail compressed versions of the videos which look terrible. Is there a way to e-mail the uncompressed video? But it does retain all the metadata and appears in the Photos app.
    3) Share the videos via the Photos app on iCloud. This allows me to access the videos when I am on wifi but I can't download them to my iPad.

So none of these workarounds are really that good but I assume I will have to end up settling for #1 if I can't find another solution.

2. nelsonammo thread starter macrumors regular

Figured it out. Apple support is useless for weird problems like these. Also, a walled garden is nice but getting in from the outside is a pain in the ass.