Is there a way to turn off my fans in my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DoNoHarm, May 27, 2009.

1. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Hello Everyone,

I am about to buy a new HD and I am leaning towards the seagate momentus 5400 500gb drive due to noise, power consumption, and size considerations. I was thinking that it may be interesting to see how much of the noise from my laptop comes from the hd vs. the fans on the logic board. Is there a way (or a 3rd party program) to momentarily turn off the fans on my logic board? obviously I'd do this only for a short few seconds to avoid overheating....

-JG

2. UniPro macrumors regular

UniPro

I don't think so and I would advise against. There is a reason that the fans constantly run and even turning them off for a bit may be dangerous

Edit: yeah SMC Fan control could do that. But I think they have safeguards in the program that have safety overrides to prevent just that.

3. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I found a page that changes some low-level settings that may do what you want to. I can't remember where it was though...

4. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

And you're right about the safety stuff. If you dug into the code though, you could probably change that.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Unless you're interested in burning out your CPU, I'd advise against that. They're on for a reason - the temperature.