Is there a way we can tell what apps are compatible with the iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by myditka, Sep 17, 2012.

1. myditka macrumors member

Is there a little sign on the apps that shows us or do we have to download the app to find out!

2. Chopstick217 macrumors regular

Chopstick217

all apps are compatible as far as I am aware of. The app will simply have "black borders" unless the dev of the app updates it. I could be wrong though ;)

3. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Ahh fragmentation. Just wait till 7 inch iPad is out.

4. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

Maybe OP was asking for a list of iPhone 5 OPTIMIZED apps (ready for the new screen). I'd love to see this too. :)

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nowhere near as bad as android:D
    Im sure people can live with a little border till the apps get an update.

6. LetMeBlastU macrumors regular

LetMeBlastU

Maybe there will be an option for this in the store once iOS 6 is released on Wed

7. falconer. macrumors member

The rumoured iPad mini shouldn't have the same issue if John Gruber's theory plays out and the working resolution is the same (1024x768), just with smaller pixels.

8. chuges macrumors member

what about apps that are already optimized for iphone 5. What happens if you try to use them on a 4/4s? any ideas?

9. myditka thread starter macrumors member

Yes that was what i was trying to ask! I hope the main apps I use (facebook, bank of america, and a few games) are optimized for the new screen

10. kodek macrumors member

Well, the logical thing to happen would be for the app to cut off part of the screen so it fits in the older phones.

Although it would be funny if they allowed apps to have optimized user interfaces just like universal iphone/ipad apps.

Wait, I think I have those backwards...

11. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The app layout should adjust accordingly. I doubt that any devs are simply changing their app to the iPhone 5's resolution, rather modifying it so that it can stretch vertically to show more content when displayed on a taller screen.

12. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

In theory, apps should already handle height switching because of the tethering/in-call bar. But since very few handle that well, I guess the developers will have to update them manually.