Is there a way when home sharing to see more than one title at a time?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jrm27, Dec 26, 2013.

1. jrm27 macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I'm brand new to the Apple TV. I finally got home sharing setup so I can see all my movies on my Apple TV. It's great! However, I can only see the titles in list view, seeing cover art of only one movie at a time. Is there a way to set up the display so that it shows my movies like I would see in the movies tab from the main page/in iTunes? Basically, I want to see a grid of cover art so I can see more than one movie at a time. Does that make sense?

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Not on the ATV interface - however put the Remote app on your iPad, and you can browse the movies in cover art thumbnail - and start playback on your ATV.

3. jrm27 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ouch... That sucks. I was hoping there was a way to get some kind of grid view going on. Scanning through tons of videos would be a lot better if I could see more than one at a time. Maybe it's time to look at using plexconnect...

4. profets macrumors 68040

That is one area where the Apple TV really lacks right now (local media). It's possible to get it shared from iTunes, but going through a Computers icon seems a bit silly, and then browsing through media in a list can't get stupid real fast (imagine hundreds of movies or tv shows with multiple seasons).

Gotta hope that we'll see an update in 2014 to bring it in line with how iOS and iTunes work - showing some nice layouts of movies & TV, and also combining local content with iCloud content.

For now the best way is using an iOS device (preferably an iPad) as a remote. You get a beautiful UI of artwork to browse through and initiate playback.

5. jrm27 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's a real bummer. I love the look of the Apple TV, but the interface is enough to make me want to go back to my WDTV. I'm looking into PlexConnect, but it's not seeing a lot of my media...