is there a website you can download music from to iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bclizzle, Apr 7, 2011.

1. bclizzle macrumors 6502

my friend has this on his droid, i doubt its possible on an iphone, but:

basically, he goes to some website that has music - and downloads from site straight to phone. anything like this without jailbreaking?

2. reaborg macrumors member

Ya, they call it iTunes App. Much more streamlined than any website.

3. A2DY macrumors member

if your after a website you can download music from (most likely illegally) then no,

only option is itunes using the iphone

4. daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

Is it not possible from Napster or Spotify? I ask because I don't know the answer.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

6. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

^^that. stop stealing music.

7. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Yeah because wanting to buy & download from Amazon.com is illegal. Or if your friend's band posts their free music on a site.

Think before you say things.

8. reaborg macrumors member

I believe you can "play" any music (mp3s included) from websites and links, but it doesn't get added to your iPod library.

9. imutter macrumors 6502

imutter

if you do not want to pay ( I do ) and get musics from iTunes then why not Pandora or Vevo etc

10. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

The OP's issue isn't about paying for music. It's about not being able to download (and store) music from a place other than iTunes.

You can use streaming sites but they require a connection & they don't mix with the iPod app.

Lots of indie artists post MP3s on their sites but you can't add them to a playlist on your iPhone while on the go.

11. Lotso, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011

Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

You can use an app called Filer to download an mp3 or an aac from a website. You can even let it play in the background too. However, it does not mingle with the iPod app.

12. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

i always think before i speak..well, type.

:)

I'm not going to sit here and type a drawn out argument on how you are wrong...

The OP is looking for a site to get music for free. Your arguments are mute.

if the OP was willing to purchase and download music to his phone, he can. Use iTunes.

Don't you think there is a reason there aren't a huge number of sites that offer music for free?

13. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Wirelessly posted (Verizon iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

+1

14. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Wirelessly posted (Verizon iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

+1

15. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Download a downloading app in the app store

Just google the name of the song followed by mp3.

Example:

Rebecca black - Friday mp3 download

Follow the links, bam, download.

Also there are sites like beemp3 or mp3raid

16. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Nowhere in his post does it say "free". My argument is not "mute". And even if he wants free music, again - some labels/artists post free Mp3s on their sites. Stop defending Apple's lack of choice for downloading songs onto iOS. I'm not sure why you wouldnt want choice...

17. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

I'm sure he meant "moot" anyway, I think choice is good and would really like to see this - however I am pretty sure the whole potential abuse of copyright thing is why Apple doesn't allow it. ;)

Personally I never for example download app updates directly to my iphone even though I have a very good data plan, partly because coverage could be spotty in some places and also prefer using the battery for email, location apps and umm talking. I personally prefer downloading free mp3s from the artist's site (which I have done) or example at home then import it to my itunes library. To each their own though.

18. wpotere Guest

Actually it is likely this way so that it ensures you spend money with them and not amazon or some other site. It is always about the dollar.

19. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Though that might be a reason, a more likely one is that iOS doesn't have a real accessible File System. Therefore, 3rd Party Apps can't edit the iPod App because of the iPod's private APIs. This might change as iOS becomes more mature.

Apple makes little money from media sales (ex. Movies, Music, Books) - it's always been about Hardware sales (ex. iPhone, iPod).

For me, that is a shame because Apple was charging $9.99 for an album while Amazon had it for $6.99. That's why I would prefer to download from a site in that case. Or, Portugal The Man has a FREE MP3 of their single on their site - yeah, I can play in the browser, but I can't add it to a playlist.

I see Apple's reason to protect the user from having 3rd Party Apps access the file system of certain iOS parts but I hope this changes.

20. wpotere Guest

It wouldn't be that hard to make a folder accessable in the OS or create a process that would ingest the downloaded song. Apple just doesn't want it to happen. You may not think that Apple is not making a lot off of the store but they are and as long as sales continue folks will be locked to one choice. Don't get me wrong, I like iTunes as well but I wish that I had a choice.

21. Grimes macrumors regular

22. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

Nope. Just use iTunes. You can always get the Barclaycard with iTunes rewards.. and eventually get a free gift card, if you don't like spending you're money directly to Apple.

23. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

I really don't understand, what's preventing you from downloading that free MP3 on to your computer at home then importing it into itunes - which is very easy to do - or buying from Amazon at home and doing the same thing? I know you want to do that from your phone but this is by no means forcing you to only use itunes-just removing a convience. Once more I also would like to see this just wondering?

24. bclizzle thread starter macrumors 6502

obviously i do that, but what if im not at my computer? what if im on the road, what if im at a bar and hear a song i want at that moment....

should i sit there and load a youtube video? no thanks

and as far as the "stop stealing music" arguement.... save it.

25. Cammer, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011

Cammer macrumors newbie

Please read the OP before making assumptions. The original posting had NOTHING to do with stealing music. It was simply a question of where can this person download music straight into the iPhone just like you can do on a Droid.

It seems that a few here have assumed that since you can't do it on an iPhone that it must not be legal, or something along those lines. Please don't make assumptions. It is ironic how so many people pride themselves on being open-minded yet cannot tolerate people who do things differently from the way they are used to.

Perhaps I can educate those people? I don't know, but here it is:

It is very easy to DL music to a Droid using very simple apps that take only seconds to use. It is not stealing, it is not theft, it is simply a different way of doing things that, shockingly, is superior to the way that Apple forces us to go. It is superior because you have the freedom of choice in how you want to do things, it is cheaper, and the music selection and quality is equal as well. A nice, solid combination of apps might be a program like Shazam or Soundhound which listens to ambient music and identifies the song, and an app like the Amazon MP3 downloader that has a very wide selection of music that about 25% cheaper than the iTunes Store.

Typical situation of how I use the apps:

(1) I hear a song I like on the radio, I touch the Shazam app and about 15 seconds later I have the song ID'd.
    (2) I then follow the song link within that app to the Amazon MP3 store where I purchase and DL the song straight to my phone.
    (3) Later, when I get home, I wirelessly sync my Droid with iTunes.

There is no stealing of music involved here. It is an incredibly simple and quick process. I am sure that there must be something similar available to people who use iPhones, but since I have no need for an iPhone I can't speak to that.