Is there always a rash of idiot newbies around an iPod launch?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by RumMunkey, Sep 24, 2007.

1. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

This is my first iPod launch as a real, full time, Mac user so maybe this is commonplace and will settle down soon, but I can't help but notice a heavy onslaught of less-than-articulate newbies posting here; mainly in the iPod touch & iPod / iTunes forums.

Does this happen a lot around here?

It seems like every second post is "OMFG I'M GETTING MY TOUCH TODAY?!?!?!?!??!!!!!!11111", or "how do u get moviz on my ipod".

I have a lot of problems with these new folks.

First, do a little research, maybe read a sticky or two before launching your own thread. This is especially annoying when we get the same questions over and over again ("how do i get songs OFF my ipod?").

Second, why can't new posters spell, or use any form of grammar? I'm not expecting university-grade essays by any stretch of the imagination but maybe just a period between thoughts so I can read it without my head exploding.

Third, we don't need a new thread every time a new thought pops into your little heads. If you have got something to say, at least scan the first page for similar topics already started that you can probably join. We don't need a thousand threads for "bad screens" or "Apple's QC suxxor" or "OMFG i just seen an ipod at bb".

Fourth, please craft a thread title that's (at best) descriptive and at least not completely misleading.

For example, there are threads with titles like "iPod touch". In the iPod touch forum. Thanks, for that. Maybe a little more info?

Even worse are threads with titles like "iPhone in Canada!". When you open it, the OP is "when will the ipohne cum to canada?". Nice.

Will this place settle back down to the user-level we're familiar with? I certainly don't mean to be exclusionary, but we need a little more quality in the posts around here.

...maybe I'm preaching to the choir posting this in this forum...

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Some of us have been around a while and have seen it all before. Best thing to do is to lead by example and not inflame things by making sweeping judgements about other forum members. ;)

3. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Yep, usually followed by a rash of rant threads...

Patience and a Helping hand go a long way.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Over the past few years, I've found Elisabeth Kubler-Ross's Five Stages of Grief to be useful in coping with this...

Denial
    Anger
    Bargaining
    Depression and...
    Acceptance

;)

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

things are changing man, times are changing. the interwebz is forming a new language. you mayaswell just put up with it. too many people are using the new language now.

as for those posters, yes they are annoying. they should do some research. but i also just sometimes think rashy and post away my troubles without doing research.

i think its more a posting competition now more than a help/opinion forum. thats what happens when you have too many people...there is always going to be a massive variety of people and cultures. young AND old.

6. RumMunkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Oh, I'm trying believe me. It's just so hard to adjust. It's as if this great little forum suddenly got opened up to the My Space community. :rolleyes:

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hey myspace isnt just full of crap talkers. there are actually people that are worth talking to and bands that are most certainly doing well because of it. (not mine for sure hahaha)

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

This is what I do: I stick to the Community forum, Culture, Digital Photography, and sometimes the Buying Tips section, and I rarely venture into ridiculously active threads about new products, not even a few weeks after the launch. ;)

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Or better yet pay $25 and get more.:);)

10. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I've been here for two iPod launches (this September and last September) and yes, there are pretty much always a bunch of newbies who have something to complain about. But that is to be expected... just ignore the annoying threads and it usually dies down a few weeks after its release :)

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Of course the iPhone people are still annoying months after.:rolleyes:

12. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

LOL! Exactly right!

13. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

U mad?

Haha, yeah those "newbie rushes" always happens around new product launches, not just iPods. The iPhone was the worst in memory I think. It's a great product, the hype was insane, so what'd you expect. In the past we just weather them, and they will mostly go away. Until the next major event/product launch that is.

Along with the whiners and arguments over the most inane things. It's all in the cycle.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The problem is that the smallest little thing sets off an iPhone fan boi.