Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockrat71

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2007
Hi, I'm new here so hope I'm posting in the right section of the forum. I have an older video camera that doesn't seem to have any way to plug into my iMac but I'm wondering if there's some kind of adapter I can buy.

The camera is a Sony CCD-TRV308 Handycam Vision. On the box it says Hi8 for NTSC system. The only port I can see on the camera itself is the thing the battery charger plugs into. It says DC on it. What I want to know is if there is anything I can purchase that will allow me to record on this camera and then copy those recordings from the tapes onto my computer somehow. The camera is about 6-7 years old but is in great shape and takes nice video. I don't really want to buy another camera but I want to be able to edit my videos and well as make clips I can send to family and friends.

My computer is an iMac running OSX 10.4.10 with an intel core 2 duo. I have USB ports and Fire Wire ports and a few other ports I have no idea what they are. Can anyone offer any advice? Or should I just suck it up and buy a digital video camera? The problem is they are so expensive for someone like me who is not a professional and just wants to have a little fun with the video capabilities of my Mac.

Sorry this got so long. Thanks for any help! :eek:
Melanie

beige matchbox

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2005
Oxfordshire, UK
OK, first of all you need to be able to get the video out of the camera, if it has composite, s-video etc. you can use that too hook upto a box that will plug into your Mac converting the analogue video source into digital.

If you camera doesn't have any means of getting the video out, you'll need to buy a tape player that will, or another camera.

I'm sure some of the others can point out some converter boxes, i haven't looked at them for quite some time :)

radiusdude

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2007
The method I use to get analog Hi8 video into a Mac is by using a Sony Digital8 camcorder with analog to digital pass-through.

I connect my camcorder to my Mac via firewire and iMovie recognizes the camera. I just press "Import" and iMovie imports the video. The analog video doesn't get split into clips (like video shot with the Digital8 camcorder), so it will just import 2 clips of about an hour each. But once it's in iMovie, you can split the clips yourself.

You could find a used Digital8 camcorder on eBay for not too much...

L3X

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2006
Chesapeake, VA
Melanie,
You don't need to buy another camera. Since the camera has S video out and mini A/V out as well, you can get the content off, you just need a AD converter box, meaning Analog to Digital. Here's an example:
http://www.canopus.com/products/ADVC55/index.php

This will allow you to go Firewire out of the converter box to your iMac.

There are other brands, these are pretty nice.

Hope this helps.

radiusdude

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2007
You're right - you don't need a new camera, but a used Sony DCR TRV-120 can be had on eBay for probably less than or equal to the cost of the analog to digital converter box.

It would be interesting to have a side-by-side comparison of video imported via firewire directly from the camcorder playing the tape and video played by a camcorder, sent to a converter via S-Video (hopefully not composite), then sent to the Mac via firewire.

:)

rockrat71

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2007
Thank you all so much for your responses! I'm so glad there is a way...now which way shall I choose? :)

What an amazing forum this place is! I'm a designer and I have had a mac basically since they've first come out and there's just so much great info here!

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Has anybody used the elgato eyetv for something like this? I was thinking about getting one for this and pvr capabilities.

beccybrown

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
Sony DCR TRC 120 uploading tape copy into iMoive

Hi,

I have a FireWire lead but when I plug it in from my Sony DCR-TRV 120 camcorder, it doesn't recognise that anything is attached. So if I go to iMovie and try and import the content, the import is greyed out.

Can I clarify if I can transfer straight from an Hi8 tape into my Mac OSX or do I need a digital transformer box? I have desperately trying to get content from a tape into my Mac or on to a DVD so I can show it at a hen do next weekend. You will save my friendship and their future marriage if you can help please.

My Mac is new and the video camera borrowed so I am blind to what to do. I know I need to switch the video tape to VTR mode but what's that mode?

Any guidance would be great.

Thank you
Beccy:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.