Is there an advantage to buying from Apple.com as opposed to macmall/macconnection?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamesryanbell, Mar 24, 2009.

1. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Apple charges tax. The others don't, plus offer rebates. Is there anything you DON'T get by ordering from macmall or macconnection?

Thanks. :)

2. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

I think it's easier to return if there is a minor issue. I guess you can take it to an Apple store but I think customer service is the reason why I always order through Apple.

3. MikhailT macrumors 601

Online, probably only the return policy is different. You may pay for returns shipping costs as well restocking fees that Apple store usually don't charge if you ask nicely. Other then that, I don't see any major advantages.

In store, you can ask questions, play with it on site, etc etc and can return anything within 14 days for a total refund without any questions and they don't usually bug you with RMA crap. Although you can play, ask questions in store without buying and buy it at Macmall instead.

4. MikhailT macrumors 601

The last sentence doesn't make sense to me, even if you buy a used mac on ebay, as long as it is under warranty, you always can use Apple's customer service. That's the best thing about Apple and the reason that Apple's tax on their products are worth the cost.

5. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

there is no real difference, but people go buy from apple anyway despite the "higher" prices

6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i would only buy apple computers from an apple store. just makes me feel better going to an actual store. but thats me. if not that i would definitely only get it from an apple store. and get apple care no matter where you buy it from.

7. scuzy macrumors member

Not much difference except for te ease of return i see it. If you're looking for warranty apple store handles it fine long as you're within warranty time frame. I'll order online to save on taxes and take advantage of the rebates to get a better deal.

8. Stinkysteve macrumors member

You can't custom configure your machine as nicely if you go to macmall, macconnection, or even an AppleStore.

9. Mark2000 macrumors regular

Mark2000

MacConnection offers just about ever configuration you can imagine, but most of the time you'd be better off upgrading them yourself with 3rd party parts.

10. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Perhaps it isn't relevant for you, but the educational/academic pricing is quite good.

11. Mark2000 macrumors regular

Mark2000

Taxes usually either negate or are larger than the discount.

12. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

that is true i guess. i dunno for the laptops its not really a big deal. mac pros are a different story tho. but a lot of the stuff that you can upgrade in the laptops you can do for a lot cheaper on your own, except for the processor of course.

13. scuzy macrumors member

yup taxes usually negate the education discount you get. Mine came out to be 1799 after rebate.

14. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

That's a fact. A friend of mine who is not eligible for the educational discount told me that he asked for the discount at the retail apple store. He said that the sales rep haggled with him briefly and then gave it to him.

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

MacMall is basically a zero return on Apple products ... so if you don't like what you buy the warranty with the manufacturer is all you have.

You get your low price and can delete the tax, but you have to make sure that is really what you want.

16. creon macrumors 6502

When it comes to buying a anything MAC i go to the apple store...mostly because i dont have the patience to wait for a package to come to my door.

Also, checking the FEDEX page every couple hours borders on compulsive...

17. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

Buy into marketing much?

18. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

do you? you dont buy into apple's marketing but you have obviously bought into someone's. or do you make all your own stuff, grow your own food? no didnt think. so dont tell me about buying into marketing buddy.

19. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

Short fuse much?

20. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

only for hypocrites

21. bossxii macrumors 68000

I've done it a few differnt ways, MacMall, Amazon and Apple online and Apple store.

Either way I go with Apple direct I'm paying tax, online or local. I think someone mentioned MacMall's return policy, once you buy it, it's pretty much yours. I found no need to return that MB so no clue on their service otherwise.
    Amazon was because I had some rebates I could use that saved a few hundred bucks but I've never had issue with Amazon. Fast service, no question's asked returns, yet again didn't return the computer just know they are easy to deal with.

Apple store is always just something I enjoy, I think it would be a sad day to not have local brick and mortar stores to shop for products. I enjoy the experience and just as some people find a newspaper vs digital print/online has value for some people. I enjoy talking face to face with someone, checking out what I'm buying. That to me has value.

Apple online, easy and never had an issue as once again I've not had to return anything for service. The time I did need something looked at I just went over to my local Apple store and it was taken care of.

Considering all four places are within a couple hundred bucks, I can't honestly say which I could do, I think Apple store and Amazon are easy and avoids RMA's if I do decide to return it.

22. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Apple didn't charge me tax when I bought online. It helps to live in a state with no sales tax, though. I'm sure if your state has sales tax, they have to collect it if they have any operations in that state, even if you ordered from corporate online. It's not an Apple thing, but a state thing.

23. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

put it this way...i got my 17" uni with next day shipping for $2665. no waits no delays no tax no extra high price for upgrades. its no point to buy from apple most resellers have a good return policy and if something happens after the 14 day window or something then waalaa just contact apple. so you get the best of both worlds buying resale

24. HarleyMan macrumors member

HarleyMan

Those other sellers with the discount prices make you jump through hoops with sending things in, requesting the rebates within a certain amount of time, and then I've read forums of problems with dealing with them when a problem arises.

I can speak from personal experience...I do not like spending more money for the exact same thing I can buy cheeper elsewhere....EXCEPT electronics, and especially COMPUTERS. I want the ability to get customer service without a lot of runaround and BS. I do not have an Apple store anywhere around me so I bought at the Apple Store online.....actually I called on the telephone and ordered as I don't like to put my credit card info on the net, and the purchase experience was absolutely wonderful. The guy did not rush the sale to get to others, and he answered every question I had. Apple IMHO does a wonderful job in handling customers, and I actually bought a refurb and saved money and its been great. I haven't seen the refurbs available at any other retail outlet other than the mothership Apple.

25. pacificmac macrumors newbie

yeah buying from another store should be no different. It's sometimes a good idea to check out the final total price including taxes+discounts, bundles, etc. to see if it's really worth it.
    Ordering from the online apple store is good except that you have to pay 10% restocking fee on configured items even though you haven't opened it..