All iPads Is there an advantage to setting up as a new iPad to restoring from an iCloud backup?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by zooby, May 10, 2014.

1. zooby, May 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

People seem to be 50/50 on this issue. It certainly can't hurt to start as new or whatever ya call it. But, there's no gaurantee you'll notice either.

3. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

This is almost a religious argument. I have always restored and moved on with life and never had the first problem with any of my iPods, iPhones or iPads.

Others swear about starting from new. I just do nto have the time to screw with it so I do a restore.

Try restore and you will see.

4. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Restore and save yourself the time. Only resort to a fresh install if you experience any issues.

5. Rodster macrumors 68040

For me, restoring from iCloud is just convenience if I do a full erase. It restores all my bookmarks and pictures automatically. I love that feature.

6. thatrightmes macrumors newbie

Right,Restore and save yourself the time. Only resort to a fresh install if you experience any issues. thanks[​IMG]

7. rajpatel macrumors regular

Yes

I just restored mine from the cloud and it is so much faster, just as experiment one day I will set it up as new to see the speed difference.

8. rajpatel, May 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2014

rajpatel macrumors regular

It's not like I did it for fun. My pad wouldn't erase any of the rentals and there was no space and I find this the only thing that works.

9. foobi, May 14, 2014
    Last edited: May 14, 2014

foobi macrumors regular

Yes, because Apple will blame it on you if you have some problem. So set it up as new and if you have problem.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Another vote for only setup as new if you are actually having problems. There's a very slight chance that setting up as new might give you a performance increase, but it's not worth the hassle of setting up everything again from scratch.

11. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Sounds totally rational. :rolleyes:

12. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

Totally anecdotal, but I haven't setup a device as new in years and I've had exactly zero problems with my devices.