Is there an app for free ATT starbucks wifi on laptop?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by thadoggfather, May 16, 2010.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I know there's MyWi that uses the 3G connection as a wireless router to broadcast it to a laptop, but is there an app that utilizes ATT's free wifi on the iPhone and can relay it to a laptop?

Thank you.

2. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

MyWi will do that

3. mpshay macrumors 6502

Use safari on the laptop and tell it to report itself as an iPhone

4. MatthewStorm macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

Nice idea but doesn't work. I tried it.

5. bursthead macrumors 6502

bursthead

Just like someone mentioned before. i think you could connect with ipad and then tether your laptop to ipad with mywi..

Or just buy an starbucks gift card and get 2 free hours everyday...

6. GinoDotCom macrumors regular

I went to star bucks this weekend and was surprised when I couldn't hop onto their AT&T wifi. I have a wifi only iPad, some guy next to me with a 3G iPad had access to the star bucks wifi the same way my iPhone does, but not my wifi ipad:(

I hope there's a way either now or in the near future via the cydia store that can trick AT&T hotspots into thinking you're signing in with your iPhone when you're really signing in with your wifi iPad.

7. GinoDotCom macrumors regular

I can buy a $5 gift card and always get 2 free hours of wifi? Does this work at every star bucks? This seems like the obvious way to go!

8. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

Yep. I have one with 4 cents left over that I use all the time

9. jon snow macrumors member

When you pay for the 3G service through ATT you get the free wifi at Starbucks, like on the iPhone. You can just get a Starbucks card, register it and get 2 hours free wifi at Starbucks per day.

10. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

I realize this statement will, in the nature of forums, likely reflect more badly on me than on the Starbucks system but: I've only been able to make those stupid Starbucks cards work on about one out of every three attempts. Most of the time the AT&T gateway says my login failed (not bad password, which I've verified, just failed or rejected or something) and directs me to an 800 number. Like I'm going to sit on hold with an 800 number to figure out why I can't use their stupid WiFi to download mostly text for ten minutes while I drink my coffee. And the gateway site is horribly designed, which doesn't help.

It's just stupid that it's easier to get online at Panera or Chick-Fil-A or any number of places than it is at Starbucks, which is supposed to be so iconic of modern culture and wired-ness. Hell, I can get online for free at my local emergency room by clicking one TOS agreement.

11. jon snow macrumors member

I probably should have added that my use of the Starbucks card has been hit or miss. I believe it's an issue that can be resolved. I never bothered once I added the 3G service to my iPad. But I do agree with you about using the Starbucks card for wifi.