Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgunn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
I have setup up fring which is great and will allow you to view other people but only on a phone with a camera, I'm looking for a skype type of solution but that doesn't allow video for some strange reason.

I want to give the ipad to my mother so she can talk to the grandkids and see them, I'm not fussed that they won't be able to see her but I am looking forward to the webcam addon from photofast which is due this year.

Any ideas? thanks

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
I've been waiting for a while for an app that supported webcams, like iChat, AIM, Yahoo, MSN, etc. But I believe nothing yet exists.

Because your use case is quite specific, you do have a couple of options. There is a free stickam viewer app that i've used. If you don't know stickam, it's a kind of video chat website. The grandkids could log into stickam (free to make an account) and then create a private room. Unfortunately it's an iPhone app so the quality is very low.

Another option, if you're willing to spend a bit of money, is a specialized cam viewer app. There are a couple on the app store, one is called AirCam I believe. —Just do a search for 'cam'. — It requires a bit of setup on the computer, installing a piece of free software from the developer, but should be easy. It's supposed to be for monitoring a 'nannycam' but could work for what you need.

cfs123

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2010
Although the quality can be a bit choppy, If you have an ipad and the other party has a Mac, they can turn on photo both and you can see them from your ipad. They just can't see you. Both of you need TeamViewer for this to work or something similar.

jgunn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
thanks for the suggestions. I'll wait for skype to update. seems like everyone is screaming for it on some other forums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.