Is there an expected ETA for the new Ultrasn0w?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by PaHtSaN, Oct 10, 2010.

1. PaHtSaN macrumors regular

I realize this is kind of a newb question, but I was under the impression that with the new Jailbreak Ultrasn0w would also be able to unlock the new baseband. Without my iphone 4 being unlocked its just as bricked as it was on 10/9/10.

My question is, is there any ETA for the new unlock for baseband 2.10.04?

2. nabechu macrumors 6502

Short answer is no. Best you can do is follow the dev team's twitter and hope for the best.

3. PaHtSaN thread starter macrumors regular

:-/ dang, ok, thanks.

4. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

They haven't found an exploit for the newest baseband, so no ETA. Could be next week, next month, next year, or never. This is why the Dev Team has said repeatedly that ultrasn0w unlockers need to bypass limerain and wait for an updated PwnageTool. They're working on that now.

5. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Probaly months if not till June cause thats how long it took them last time

6. PaHtSaN thread starter macrumors regular

FML

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You can preserve the baseband and still be running iOS 4.1 unlocked with ultrasn0w and jailbroken with limra1n.

8. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

You are probably going to be waiting a while. They haven't found an exploit yet for the new baseband and probably aren't actively looking for one. Maybe you will be lucky and they will find a new unlock with 4.2 but it may not be until the next iPhone comes out or there could never be another unlock again. Your best bet is to probably sell your iPhone and buy another one with the old baseband if you require an unlock or you might just be waiting a while

9. WilliamG macrumors 604

And that is simply NOT TRUE. You can use TinyUmbrella and upgrade to 4.1 from 4.0/4.0.1/4.0.2 and keep the baseband from those firmwares and then use limera1n + ultrasn0w on the iPhone 4.

10. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

What about what he said is not true? Just because it is possible to do, the dev team has still said do not use limerain if you need the unlock as they will update their tools to allow you to jb and preserve your baseband as the method you have described only works for iPhone 4 users. What the previous poster said is 100% accurate.

11. WilliamG macrumors 604

OK I'll clarify AGAIN: If you have an ****iPHONE 4****, use TinyUmbrella to upgrade to 4.1 and maintain the baseband, and then use Ultrasn0w as usual to unlock. No problems.

Not sure where I didn't state this previously. And what do you mean "just because it's possible to do..... " . It's nothing to do with what's "possible." All their update tools do vs TinyUmbrella is basically the EXACT same thing. They preserve the baseband!

12. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

The original poster said that the dev team said if you require ultrasnow unlock not to use limerain to upgrade and jb via twitter numerous times and you told him that was not true. What about it is not true? Because I'm pretty sure it's 100% a fact that they said that.

I was simply acknowledging that yes your method will work but that doesn't make what the op said false in any way. Also obviously since this only works with the iPhone 4 you are leaving the vast majority of people out who want to keep their unlock with the new jb.

Also just because they have the same end result does not mean that they are doing "basically the same thing" They actually work completely differently.

13. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Actually, what I said was exactly correct. There is no current exploit, and the Dev Team recommends waiting. Yes, the TU baseband protection works for the iPhone 4, though those experiencing issues after doing this (posted to both this forum and elsewhere on the web) might disagree with your assessment of "no problems". In the interest of fairness, the majority who've used that trick seem to be fine.

However, given the past history of unlocks, and that to most people using it an unlock is absolutely critical to preserve, I personally would stick with the Dev Team's recommendation. Ultrasn0w is, after all, their tool. The TU workaround is exactly that, a workaround for those who for some reason can't wait a few days longer. They're aware of it--I've seen them mention it--but they're clearly not recommending using it--see the latest Dev Team blog post and you'll see nothing about it there. Their stance on it is information people might want to be aware of.

14. WilliamG macrumors 604

I know what the Devteam said, but what they said is not true. It's very possible, and easy, to upgrade to 4.1 with an iPhone 4 and unlock. I don't know anyone who's had a problem doing that. That's all I'm saying.

15. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Obviously you don't know what they said because they never claimed it to be impossible they just said to stay away for now. They have even acknowledged that tinyumbrella works but they have never recommended to use it so while yes it is possible, once again no misinformation has been posted. Quit telling people they are wrong. Nobody is denying that you can do it but what about people that don't have an ip4? Have any recommendations for them?

16. atrac7 macrumors regular

All of this Tiny Umbrella stuff is good and all, but it does not address the concerns and issues of those that have iPhone 4's that CAME WITH 4.1. We cannot do the tiny umbrella to preserve any base band because we are not on an OS before 4.1 and thus we're all stuck in a limbo.

Sigh... I beat myself up everyday for jumping the gun and buying the phone with 4.1. It at the time being is a glorified iPod Touch.

17. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Why would you make the purchase without doing research first? Ip4 users who got 4.1 stock have never been able to unlock so why waste your money? Don't blame others for your ignorance of the situation nobody has ever even said that an unlock will or is being made for the new baseband.

18. WilliamG macrumors 604

OK this is just not getting anywhere. Let me clarify one LAST time:

1.) The Devteam said to stay away from Limera1n if you want to preserve your unlock. That's simply not true for iPhone 4 users. What they should have said is: "Stay away from a FRESH upgrade/restore to 4.1 if you want to preserve the unlock on iPhone 4. TinyUmbrella preserves the baseband for iPhone 4 users so that will work."

There is absolutely NOTHING sketchy about TinyUmbrella. In fact, I'd recommend TinyUmbrella + a STOCK Apple iPhone 4 4.1 firmware over anything the Dev Team puts out. Why? Because you get a completely virgin Apple firmware with NO BS except the baseband doesn't get upgraded! What's not to like?

2.) Where did I ever say anything about non-iPhone 4 users? From the very beginning I've said "FOR iPhone 4 USERS." Everyone else needs to wait.

Dear lord....

19. atrac7 macrumors regular

Are you just in the trolling mood today? Where did I blame anybody else for my situation? Did I clearly not say "I beat myself up everyday for ...."....gee, I would assume that would indicate that I am BLAMING MYSELF?

Has it occurred to you that there may be certain circumstances for a purchase and that everyone has a different reason for how they bought something? Like, oh, I don't know, me being able to sell my 3gs for 375 and finding a hell of a deal on the new iPhone 4 for 350? I am patient, and I won't be blaming other people. I was just expressing that the steps given to aide 4.1 users are useless for those who did not have the phone before the 4.1 update. That is all.

As another poster has put it, also quoting one of your posts: "Good Lord...."

20. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

You are crazy why would you trust a 3rd party app more than the people who wrote the damn unlock you want to preserve?

And once again no what they said is not false. Idk what your definition of the word false is but they never claimed it to be impossible, they are just telling people who unlock to wait for their tool. They never said if you unlock you can't upgrade without loosing the unlock all they said is to wait.

And what would you say to those who had problems preserving the baseband with tu? Just because you didn't have issues doesn't mean others didn't too.

21. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No, the Dev Team has said that you have to wait until Pwnage is updated to allow the update.

22. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

he said dear lord actually lol but I'm just saying nobody said it would help you why would you think it was. Not trying to be a dick just saying you have never had the ability to unlock and may never get it so why would you buy it if you needed the unlock. My bad you took it wrong.

23. PointMan2 macrumors newbie

Sorry to interrupt the discussion here guys, but since this one is still hot and on the topic I thought I'd ask here. I'm brand new to the jailbreak/unlock process and this might be the only time I ever need to do it. I have managed to jailbreak my iPhone, but can't find a link to help me download an unlock tool I can use, any help/links/suggestions? Thanks.

24. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Go to cydia and search ultrasn0w and dl it. Can't have the new updated baseband tho.

25. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You won't be able to unlock at all if you are on 4.1.0 software.