Is there an External Enclosure with UASP for the SSD I have from my 2011 MBA?

Meshari

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2014
Hello,

So I upgraded my Mid-2011 MBA with the 480GB OWC Aura Pro 6G SSD and have my original SSD standing by if needed.

I also have a base model 2013 iMac 21.5 with 1 TB HDD. I was thinking of adding the SSD I have to boot the iMac from. I read that I need an external enclosure with UASP if I need to use the USB 3.0 port rather than the Thunderbolt port.

Is there an external enclosure with UASP for the SSD I have from my 2011 MBA?

Will this work?

http://kingwin.com/products/cate/enclosures/km-u3msata.php#overview-tab

Thank you!

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The only option available I have seen is the OWC Envoy product. That one you linked won't work as the Apple flash device uses a different connector.

The Envoy comes in different models depending on what year your Air is, so make sure you get the right one.

Meshari

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2014
The only option available I have seen is the OWC Envoy product. That one you linked won't work as the Apple flash device uses a different connector.

The Envoy comes in different models depending on what year your Air is, so make sure you get the right one.
Thanks for the responses!

OK, so I wanna know if the envoy the OWC provides would work just fine on the iMac or not. I'm not a professional user. I only wanna use the computer for FaceTime calls, word typing and stuff. No photo or video editing.

That is for a standard SSD and won't work. OP has an Air flash storage device that uses a "blade" style like this.

who is OP?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks for the responses!

OK, so I wanna know if the envoy the OWC provides would work just fine on the iMac or not. I'm not a professional user. I only wanna use the computer for FaceTime calls, word typing and stuff. No photo or video editing.
Yes... once you put the flash blade in that gadget you can attach it to any computer and it will be seen as a normal external drive.

who is OP?
Sorry... OP is an abbreviation for "original poster" (you). :D

Meshari

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2014
Yes... once you put the flash blade in that gadget you can attach it to any computer and it will be seen as a normal external drive.

But then can I boot the iMac from that external drive with no issues or not? Will be there some limits to how I use the computer or any features I will loose?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
But then can I boot the iMac from that external drive with no issues or not? Will be there some limits to how I use the computer or any features I will loose?
Yes it will boot and run just fine and you will not lose any functionality.

The only downside to using a USB flash storage drive like this is USB does not support the TRIM command, so it is possible that over time the write speeds of the drive will slow a bit.

Meshari

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2014
Yes it will boot and run just fine and you will not lose any functionality.

The only downside to using a USB flash storage drive like this is USB does not support the TRIM command, so it is possible that over time the write speeds of the drive will slow a bit.
OK, thank you so much for your great help!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Transend also makes one.

Lou
I know Transend includes that enclosure if you buy one of the drive conversion kits, but I have not seen where they are selling the enclosure stand alone that would be what the OP wants, so I did not mention it intentionally. Have you seen the Transcend enclosure alone for sale anywhere?

flowrider

macrumors 603
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^I have not, but has anybody every asked them if they would? I will ask on the thread they started when the JetDrive was released. I'll report back.

Lou

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.