Is there an idiot-proof way to transfer my PC's Thunderbird to my Macbook's Mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Whackintosh, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Whackintosh macrumors 6502

I'm a bit scared of messing something up with code edits and I'm hoping there's a way to do a clean input. Googling around, it doesn't look like there is? I need to transfer everything from Thunderbird (PC) to Mail (Mac).

2. Whackintosh thread starter macrumors 6502

3. p.luik macrumors regular

4. Whackintosh thread starter macrumors 6502

All my email and folders

5. p.luik macrumors regular

If you know your mail account settings, Mail should download all of the messages after you set up the account. What mail service do you use?

6. Whackintosh thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm talking about years of emails that I currently have on my PC in Thunderbird.

7. p.luik macrumors regular

Have you even tried to download the emails in mail?

8. Whackintosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Download from where? They`re not on any server, just on my PC. I`ll be transferring these to my Macbook as I slowly break way from PC land (and eventually, to an Imac as well).

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't think there is an easy way to do it. If you're concerned about messing something up, make a backup of your Thunderbird mails, then make a copy, then try converting the copy according to the instructions in the link above. Worst comes to worst you mess up the copy.

10. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I had almost the same issue, except that I wanted to transfer years' worth of email from PC Thunderbird to Mac Thunderbird. Easy, right? Just copy the folders over - that was easy, but the Mac version couldn't see any of the mails for some reason.

I ended up sending them to Mail just by doing an import, and that's where they still are, even though I prefer Thunderbird...

11. phairphan macrumors 6502a

phairphan

Try Eudora Mailbox Cleaner. It worked wonderfully for my move from PC Eudora to Mail. It looks like it works on Thunderbird (PC and Mac), but I can't vouch for the Thunderbird reliability.

It's ridiculous that moving mail between programs (or even the same program on different platforms) is so complicated. Good luck!