Is there an iPad app that allows me to view my Finder files and open them (on the Mac

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Doju, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

I'm looking for an app, doesn't have to be free, that allows me to access my computer.

I know there's a lot of apps that allow me to access folders on my computer and open their files on my iPhone, but I'm looking for something that allows me to open the files on the Mac, not the iPhone.

Like, I tap the file and it basically is the same as double clicking the file on the Mac.

I have a Mac mini being used as a HTPC and it would be great if I didn't have to awkwardly sit on my couch with a mouse and navigate Finder, eyes-squinted, from 20 feet away. If I could just navigate the folders on my phone, click open, and they'd play, I'd be very, very happy!

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

This is why people use a front end for their htpc's. Then you get full size graphics, and can use a basic remote app to control everything. Barring that, a vnc app might work if you can use it in screen sharing mode.

3. Restinbeast macrumors member

as the previous poster said, it is kinda crazy to not use a front end to access your files...

XBMC
    Plex
    Boxee
    Front Row
    Etc etc ..

then you use your ipad as a remote control instead of a VNC.
    Also I see you have a 13' mbp... all you have to do is use screen sharing and then the screen is right in front of you on your lap.

Anyway, if you want to access your computer on your ipad (hopefully for different reasons) there are tons of options like...

Splashtop
    teamviewer
    too many to list but i'd try splashtop first

4. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

I do use a front end application, but the problem is in order to get the files into the app it has to scrape all the video information. I want to just be able to access it.

(Plex can't do that, not sure about others.)

5. miski macrumors newbie

LogMeIn

Try LogMeIn (Logmein.com check it on Appstore) for iPad, you can control your computers not only over your local LAN but from anywhere else worldwide through Internet...

Good luck!

Miski

6. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Plex, XBMC, and others have file managers that let you browse your disk drive/shared disk drive.

You don't have to use the built in media types/scrapper..... though that is usually the best experience :)