iPhone Is there an option to roll back to IOS 7 after upgrading to IOS 8.1.1

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by reachrao, Nov 20, 2014.

1. reachrao macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have an IPHONE 5s, can I roll back to IOS 7 after upgrading to IOS 8.1.1?
    Is any facing issues after upgrading to IOS 8.1.1?

Thanks.

2. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

Nope... and nope...The beauty of Android is that you can go back to any version you want... This is pretty sweet...

3. reachrao thread starter macrumors newbie

No rollback option... hmm.. ok.

Have you upgraded to IOS 8.1.1 on your Iphone 5s?

4. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

yes... Not problem with iPhone 5S...But your millage will be vary...

5. MaskedCarrot macrumors regular

Nope that's not true.

Case in point. Samsung GS4. Once they updated past a certain point, you could no longer use Loki to bypass the bootloader.

Fortunately when I still had mine, I already had a custom recovery and ROM installed and was safe, but once people updated they were stuck. Never to be able to downgrade or install ROMs again.

As far as Apple, I really think they should be gracious and just start signing older iOS versions for people with older devices. That would be the decent thing to do.

Even though I know better, but like an idiot, I still updated my iPad 2 to iOS 8 and it runs like crap. Actually I should have stayed on 6 and never installed 7.

So now I am contemplating buying an Air 2 just because my iPad 2 is messed up now.

6. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Nope,
    Heck, no!

7. reachrao thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Well said..

Apple should have an option to roll back.. the lack of roll back is forcing users to stick with the recent OS even if they don't want to and/or even if its not working.. its like bullying... This allows apple to boast in the keynote, that most users have upgraded to their latest OS!! which is not true..

Cheers..

8. saudor macrumors 6502

Exactly what apple wants you to do. lol

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Have you tried 8.1.1 since it's supposed to make things quite usable on older devices like the iPad 2.

10. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

It isn't bullying. Each patch has security updates. They are protecting themselves because you are using their hardware.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

But they can do needed patch updates in older versions (perhaps not all of them but maybe at least the most recent one or two), similar to how they do it and have been doing it for years with OS X, for example.

12. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

Nope. The iOS 7 ship sailed off weeks ago. Your only option now is jailbreaking.

That said, if you have enough free space on your device, I don't see any issue at all with updating a 5s to iOS 8.1.1. I've been running iOS 8 on my 5s since release, and the current version runs every bit as fast and reliably as 7.1.2 did (and much more reliably than the early versions of iOS 7). Aside from lagging in iOS 8.0, and Bluetooth issues that persisted through 8.1, it's worked very well.

The 5s is only one generation removed from its original launch version of iOS, and the new A8 processors on the iPhone 6/6 Plus are only about ~20% more powerful than the A7 chip (the big gain with the A8 was with efficiency). So, Apple's not targeting devices with far greater computing power in iOS 8.

Most of the issues with iOS 8 have affected the newer A8-powered devices. Not much different than how the random rebooting, Touch ID "fade" and "white screen of death" issues with iOS 7 primarily affected the newer A7 devices.

And generally speaking, I think you're safe making the first OS upgrade. Things seem to get dicier with the performance and stability is you try upgrading two or three generations beyond the version of iOS that came with your device. That's why I've kept my iPad 3 on iOS 6.1.3, and why my daughter's iPad mini remains on 7.1.2.

There's also the issue of storage. iOS 8 simply requires a lot more space (this goes beyond the free space needed for installation), and if you have a 16 GB device, that extra 0.7 GB that iOS 8 takes up is a huge chunk of storage that you can no longer use for apps and media.

13. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

They only do that for devices that no longer support newer versions. Which is pretty rare for that to even happen in the first place.

They have trouble getting 1 OS right, we don't need them splitting that work load among iOS 6, 7 and 8

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

I understand how they do it with iOS, what I was saying is that they have no issues doing it different with OS X and have been doing it for years, meaning that they could do it with iOS as well if they simply wanted to do it (yes, of course it would be different and would take extra work, but the only difference there is basically them wanting to do it or not, since they have been doing that very thing with OS X for a long time now).

15. HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

Most the time; it is usually better off having the same iOS version that came with the iPhone, iPad, Touch device. Each time you upgrade; you weaken the mobile device performance.

I am still using my Touch 4th generation A4 256MB RAM. Never upgraded! Everything runs fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I agree with you. So do a lot of people.

17. reachrao thread starter macrumors newbie

Well... why doesn't apple release just the security patch?? and have an option to roll back.. I believe the option is left to the consumer and the not the manufacturer..

Companies can make products but how it is used is left to the consumer and not the company!!

And don't forget that every company not just apple make rules in name of policies to cover themselves very well and with the minimum possible protection for customers who pay to buy their products!! it is a fact..

Just have a read of any companies warranty policies, such as apple, microsoft, insurance/credit card companies, etc.. you will know what I am referring to..

Cheers..

18. newellj macrumors 601

You are probably still running Windows XP? ;)

19. reachrao thread starter macrumors newbie

Hahahaha no way!!!

I love Mac Book Air and am saving up some money to buy this..

20. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

What exactly is beautiful and sweet about losing features and gaining vulnerabilities by going back to an earlier version of an OS? :rolleyes:

21. MaskedCarrot macrumors regular

Yes I put 8.1.1. on my iPad 2 the day it came out. I'm not sure if I noticed a difference or not.

Actually I think version 6.x would have been best to keep on since that ran better. But I suppose I learned a lesson from all this.

Never be too eager to install OS updates until I read the forums first.

22. reachrao thread starter macrumors newbie

In addition to the responses.. apple changes the hardware (increase processor speed for example) with each release of IPHONE which makes the new OS tough to work with older phones...

I think Apple doesn't want to resort to the habit of releasing just the security patches like other companies to create the 'brand' and false perception of quality! :)

Cheers.

23. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

If you read MR forums, you will never upgrade/update anything on any of your devices......

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

Apple already does that with OS X and has been doing it for years just fine.

25. MaskedCarrot macrumors regular

Ya I have been reading the forums here for years, so yes I should know better. :)

I guess I got caught up in the moment of a new iOS and just went for it. I won't be doing that again.