Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

helios410

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
NYC
Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but what are the benefits to backing up to iCloud, if I can wirelessly back up via wifi to my main computer when at home?

If I backup to iCloud, does that mean I can do a restore on my iDevices from any computer with iTunes?

Thanks.

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
Backing up to iCloud doesn't mean that. It doesn't mean (any computer). What it does offer is a means to be able to restore your portable system without needing to be anywhere on the same network as your computer (that typically houses the backup) to do the restore. You'll be restoring from your iCloud that is somewhere on the internet without connecting to any other device you own.

So basically, backing up to iCloud means that your portable device can do a restore from anywhere it has connection to the internet.(At least a WiFi one) Away from Home. At a Starbucks. At a hotel somewhere with internet. Etc.

The only caveat is limited iCloud space, unless you buy more. Thus I believe there are selectable backup options, to only backup certain things to iCloud to save space.

Backing up to your Mac (or PC) is just that. It means in order to restore your backup data, you have to connect to that specific Machine while it is on and running iTunes. Either via USB, or with the new Wi-fi method, if you have that set up.

GR33NIE

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
Lower risk of losing data on iCloud, unless your backing up your data @ home to more than one place

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.