Is there any chance of a quad-core 13" MBP this year?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GodWhomIsMike, Jan 17, 2012.

1. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

Is there any chance of a quad-core 13" MBP this year? I think this would make for the perfect size mobile workstation. Light and ultra powerful.

2. TechStooge macrumors member

the problem with putting a QUAD core is that its more powerful and thus will release more heat. i dont think the 13inch can disapate that much in such a small enclosure. it only uses one fan. the 15 and 17 macbook pro use 2 fans to vent the heat.

most people dont even need a quad core anyway.

3. GodWhomIsMike thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was wondering because from what I see, the new 2012 Intel chip dies are going to be shrunk down to 22nm from the 32nm die size used in 2011. This translates to less heat and less power consumption.

4. floobie macrumors member

I'm sure it'll happen eventually. This year... who knows?

I certainly wouldn't mind it, though. If they somehow cram a quad core i7 and half-decent dedicated graphics into a 13" Macbook Pro, I'd be all over that. But... I'm not holding my breath. Keeping all that stuff cool would be quite a challenge.

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Aren't there already mobile phones with quad cores?

The important number is the TDP. The current 13'' design can't handle the 45 W quad cores - and I doubt a future, thinner 13'' MBP could do that.
    A downclocked Ivy Bridge CPU might work (programmable TDP), but I'm not sure if that is better than a nice dual core at full speed.

6. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

There is absolutely a chance, because we KNOW Ivy Bridge comes out this year.

However, 13" MBP will certainly have no dedicated video option and will rely on Ivy Bridge's integrated GPU, faster than HD3000 but still not what Haswell promises. I'm betting it will be on par with last year's Nvidia 320M.

Result: Faster, cooler, longer battery life in similar (dual core) configurations. Expect quad core to negate heat and battery life advantages though.

Cons: Still fairly unusable graphics/gaming performance

7. NintendoFan macrumors regular

Sandy Bridge is already on par with the 320M.

There is suppose to be a 35w quad-core for Ivy Bridge, which will fit within the TDP constraints of 13-inch.

8. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

Sandy Bridge is definitely not on-par with 320M in gaming performance.

9. In Like Flynn macrumors regular

I like playing graphically intense games and they run very smooth on my duel core, will a quad core make that much difference? (I'm thinking about selling my desktop for the new Pro when it comes out)

10. NintendoFan macrumors regular

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4205/the-macbook-pro-review-13-and-15-inch-2011-brings-sandy-bridge/8

11. jeremyshaw macrumors 6502

From the same review:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4205/the-macbook-pro-review-13-and-15-inch-2011-brings-sandy-bridge/18

Despite the "TLC from Apple," in the SNB IGP drivers, under Windows, nVidia's driver optimizations pulls ahread..... even in many CPU limited games (Starcraft 2, for example), the old combo pulls ahead or matches the newer SandyBridge chip.

12. NintendoFan macrumors regular

13. bill-p macrumors 65832

I haven't seen a low-power quad-core Ivy Bridge in Intel's roadmap yet. As far as I know, they have only announced 3-4 quad-core, which run at TDPs of 45W and 55W.

What you want is a 35W quad-core, and it doesn't look like Intel is planning on making one any time soon.

If you are playing games, then how it performs under Windows is more important.

If you are not playing games, then why would you be concerned about the performance of the GPU at all?

14. In Like Flynn macrumors regular

Thanks snaky69, my husband insists a quad core is a must, but I suspect when the quads are anounced, the duel core price will drop :)