Is there any chance of a quad-core 13" MBP this year?

GodWhomIsMike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Is there any chance of a quad-core 13" MBP this year? I think this would make for the perfect size mobile workstation. Light and ultra powerful.

TechStooge

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2012
Is there any chance of a quad-core 13" MBP this year? I think this would make for the perfect size mobile workstation. Light and ultra powerful.
the problem with putting a QUAD core is that its more powerful and thus will release more heat. i dont think the 13inch can disapate that much in such a small enclosure. it only uses one fan. the 15 and 17 macbook pro use 2 fans to vent the heat.

most people dont even need a quad core anyway.

GodWhomIsMike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
the problem with putting a QUAD core is that its more powerful and thus will release more heat. i dont think the 13inch can disapate that much in such a small enclosure. it only uses one fan. the 15 and 17 macbook pro use 2 fans to vent the heat.

most people dont even need a quad core anyway.
I was wondering because from what I see, the new 2012 Intel chip dies are going to be shrunk down to 22nm from the 32nm die size used in 2011. This translates to less heat and less power consumption.

floobie

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010
Canada
I'm sure it'll happen eventually. This year... who knows?

I certainly wouldn't mind it, though. If they somehow cram a quad core i7 and half-decent dedicated graphics into a 13" Macbook Pro, I'd be all over that. But... I'm not holding my breath. Keeping all that stuff cool would be quite a challenge.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Aren't there already mobile phones with quad cores?

The important number is the TDP. The current 13'' design can't handle the 45 W quad cores - and I doubt a future, thinner 13'' MBP could do that.
A downclocked Ivy Bridge CPU might work (programmable TDP), but I'm not sure if that is better than a nice dual core at full speed.

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
There is absolutely a chance, because we KNOW Ivy Bridge comes out this year.

However, 13" MBP will certainly have no dedicated video option and will rely on Ivy Bridge's integrated GPU, faster than HD3000 but still not what Haswell promises. I'm betting it will be on par with last year's Nvidia 320M.

Result: Faster, cooler, longer battery life in similar (dual core) configurations. Expect quad core to negate heat and battery life advantages though.

Cons: Still fairly unusable graphics/gaming performance

NintendoFan

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
Massachusetts
There is absolutely a chance, because we KNOW Ivy Bridge comes out this year.

However, 13" MBP will certainly have no dedicated video option and will rely on Ivy Bridge's integrated GPU, faster than HD3000 but still not what Haswell promises. I'm betting it will be on par with last year's Nvidia 320M.

Result: Faster, cooler, longer battery life in similar (dual core) configurations. Expect quad core to negate heat and battery life advantages though.

Cons: Still fairly unusable graphics/gaming performance
Sandy Bridge is already on par with the 320M.

There is suppose to be a 35w quad-core for Ivy Bridge, which will fit within the TDP constraints of 13-inch.

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
Sandy Bridge is already on par with the 320M.

There is suppose to be a 35w quad-core for Ivy Bridge, which will fit within the TDP constraints of 13-inch.
Sandy Bridge is definitely not on-par with 320M in gaming performance.

In Like Flynn

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2012
I like playing graphically intense games and they run very smooth on my duel core, will a quad core make that much difference? (I'm thinking about selling my desktop for the new Pro when it comes out)

NintendoFan

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
Massachusetts
Sandy Bridge is definitely not on-par with 320M in gaming performance.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4205/the-macbook-pro-review-13-and-15-inch-2011-brings-sandy-bridge/8

Under OS X, the new HD Graphics 3000 GPU is actually about the same performance or even faster than the 2010 13-inch's GeForce 320M. Remember that Apple does a lot of its own driver writing under OS X and the SNB GPU received some TLC from Apple in the form of very well optimized drivers.

jeremyshaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
From the same review:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4205/the-macbook-pro-review-13-and-15-inch-2011-brings-sandy-bridge/18

Despite the "TLC from Apple," in the SNB IGP drivers, under Windows, nVidia's driver optimizations pulls ahread..... even in many CPU limited games (Starcraft 2, for example), the old combo pulls ahead or matches the newer SandyBridge chip.

NintendoFan

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
Massachusetts

bill-p

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2011
I haven't seen a low-power quad-core Ivy Bridge in Intel's roadmap yet. As far as I know, they have only announced 3-4 quad-core, which run at TDPs of 45W and 55W.

What you want is a 35W quad-core, and it doesn't look like Intel is planning on making one any time soon.

I think how it performs on OS X is of more importance than under Windows.
If you are playing games, then how it performs under Windows is more important.

If you are not playing games, then why would you be concerned about the performance of the GPU at all?

In Like Flynn

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2012
No, not at all. Most games do not use more than one core, and are heavily dependant on your graphics card. You would not notice a difference going from dual to quad core for gaming. The 15"'s dedicated graphics card is what would make a difference.

Thanks snaky69, my husband insists a quad core is a must, but I suspect when the quads are anounced, the duel core price will drop :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.