Is there any chance the iPhone 5 has a screen bigger than 4"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aliensarecool, Jul 1, 2012.

1. aliensarecool macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

We don't know anything definite until it is released
    Strong rumors indicate the "long" screen at 4"

3. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Most likely a 4 inch screen at 1136 X 640.

4. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

We know nothing. Everything is based on rumours. Remember last year's rumours? Everybody thought the next-gen iPhone, which turned out to be the iPhone 4S, would get a bigger display, a tear-drop design and more. It didn't come true.

Nothing is for certain yet.

5. aliensarecool thread starter macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

6. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

Apple might shock everybody and bring it out the size of the S3 !! :eek:

7. nostresshere macrumors 68030

yes, there is a good chance it will be bigger than 4"

also a good chance it will be the same as the current phone

or something else.

NOBODY HERE KNOWS

8. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

4" is so minute a difference from 3.5. Just a mere half an inch... it's almost a joke.

9. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

But this year there are actual parts, not cases. This is just like the new iPad parts leaking and even the 4S parts leaking.

10. TheBama macrumors 6502

TheBama

4 sound about right to me. I had a Streak 5" and it was verging on too big and clumsy to use as a phone.

11. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

Its not going to be any bigger. The iPhone 5 was Jobs' baby, the last iPhone he had a hand in. I think we all know he was adamant that 3.5 inches was the perfect size for a phone. Its going to be the same size, sorry.

12. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Totally disagree. 4" screen as being reported by Reuters and WSJ. I think the leaked parts we've seen are the real thing. This rumor I believe will be spot on.

13. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

Who cares? There were reports from tons of sources last year claiming the 4s was going to have a larger screen and many had supposed leaked shots of it but what happened? Yea...

14. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

The sources you are mentioning were almost entirely made up of analysts. Very few reputable sources last year were reporting of a 4" screen.

The leaked shots were mostly mockup outlines of the 4.4" and teardrop iPhone that were either prototypes or never existed in the first place. Also don't forget that the WSJ often is leaked info directly from Apple.

I believe the absolute certainties this fall are a 4" screen, LTE, and a smaller dock connector. You can continue believing that the screen size will stay the same but you'll see otherwise this fall.

15. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

I'm not interested in a 4" iPhone that is just stretched taller. 3.5 to 4" is nothing...and is why they are probably going to do it. It wont upset the masses. They will still have the same width, but just taller.

16. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

So you believe that one of the most secretive companies ever who squashes any website that leaks a pic within an hour had their secrets leaked 5 months before the phone comes out? LOL, ok :rolleyes:

17. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

I think the 4" taller screen will greatly improve web browsing in landscape mode. The portrait experience will be roughly the same as it is now except a little more screen real estate vertically.

I would like a wider iPhone for sure but I'll be very happy if the rumor I recently posted comes to fruition.

----------

I don't think it's a coincidence that Tim Cook told Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher that Apple needs to "double down on secrecy" at just about the same time we started seeing pictures of the leaked parts.

You clearly don't believe the leaked parts but I do. And I certainly believe the 4" rumor that is being reported by WSJ and the like. One could make the case that Apple will put the 4" screen on the current form factor however I believe making the next iPhone taller allows them to also make it thinner and gives them space for a larger battery.

18. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

It won't have a larger battery if it has an LTE radio in it, that will take up more room.

19. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

My point is that making the iPhone taller allows for more room for internals. Whatever they may be.

20. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I just got off the phone with Tim Cook and he says nunya.

21. Dunbar macrumors 6502

Nonsense, the Snapdragon S4 processor in the US Galaxy S3 and HTC One X have the LTE modem on the same die. Here's how big the chip is:

[​IMG]

22. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

It will be a cold day in hell before Apple uses a Snapdragon in an iPhone. The A6 chip will be larger than that and it won't have an LTE radio built into it.

23. Dunbar, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012

Dunbar macrumors 6502

Even if the next iPhone has a separate LTE modem (which is doubtful due to power consumption) it would be so small that it wouldn't take up space for a larger battery. In fact, since the LTE modem will handle both 3G and 4G like in the ipad it's doubtful it would take anymore space than the 3G modem in the 4S.

The LTE modem from the iPad 3 (green box below):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

No more then 4" I reckon, any more and it's to bigger leap up in size an would cause I much of a stir!

25. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink