Is there ANY clue as to what is next in the Air line?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by danpass, May 9, 2012.

1. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

The buyer's guide doesn't really help.

There's just one thing I'm curious about ........ RAM.

4gb was borderline for what I was doing so I returned the 13" but the rest was great.

I've since been holding out for 8gb, heck 6gb would be fine.

Anything?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's possible, but Apple seems to be of the mentality that if you actually needed more than 4 GB of RAM you'd be buying the Pro.

3. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Nobody knows anything short of the obvious spec bump. Otherwise, no.

4. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

What were you doing that required more than 4 GB of Ram?

Would be awesome if 4g/LTE connectivity was built in...but really not likely.

5. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

I seriously doubt we'll be seeing more than 4GB RAM in the next model. But that's just my opinion.

6. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

I'd suggest that the answer is anything. Lion cries out to have multiple full screen apps open at the same time to swipe between, and it is a memory hog. I only have a single safari tab open, iTunes and mail, and only restarted yesterday. Yet even those have used over 2gigs. Use a photo or video editor, and you'll easily be ready for more than 4gigs. The SSD will help a great deal, but I'd still prefer the extra speed of the RAM and avoid caning the SSD in case it reduces its overall lifespan. The lack of 8 Gigs is the main reason why I haven't pulled the trigger on a 11" MBA.

David

7. jmazzamj macrumors regular

I'd literally cry if they released a 4/128GB 11" base model, but we all know it won't happen...

Well, I'd be as happy if the base model were what it is now with a $200 reduction and the $999 were what I'm aiming at.

While waiting for the update or the new Pros I sold my 11" unit for AU$ 950, I bought it for $150 less mid January (yeah, it was a bargain, it's AU$ 1349 new).

I regret selling it though, it was, simply put, the BEST computer I've ever had...

Have a good day everybody.

8. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Fair point, but I never had any speed issues with safari/chrome open with multiple tabs, and photoshop etc. The only issues I had was when I hooked it up to a 27" ACD...didn't run too well on the huge display. I have to imagine it's the shortcomings of the GPU.

9. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

exactly. Aperture is a memory hog and I would run safari and imovie and swipe in between.

then there is bootcamp which I used to run a CAD program under windows

need all the ram possible which was fine in the MBP13 with 8gb but that glossy screen was brutal. I loved the Air screen.

then, by trying out the Air, the weight difference became real obvious as well lol

10. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Yeah...sounds like the Pro suits your needs better. And yes..Glossy screens do suck.

I had sold my 13" MBA and got the 15" Macbook Pro...and the thing felt like a clunker (big and heavy). Sold it, got a Mac Mini, and will be picking up a MBA 13" again soon. LOL

Just don't know how long I'll have to wait for the updated models.

11. botchok5 macrumors newbie

A little spec bump would be great, but i'm not too bothered.There's only 2 things I want at the moment:

- USB 3.0

or

- Affordable "Thunderbolt" peripherals.

12. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    My 2 cents

A cheaper Air to compete with the Ultrabooks,I believe :apple: is irate at INTEL's
    Promoting this issue, I have a feeling they are in discussion with AMD to design their chips.Possiby in 2013
    I'd like to see. 4/64 option in the 11",as the base with 128/256/480 BTO's ,with either 4 or 8 GB of ram,i5/i7

13" I5 128/256/480 with 4GB standard,8 GB optional
    13" I7 with the same options as the I5

13. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I think it's pretty realistic to expect Ivy Bridge (obviously), slight bump in battery, and an HD FaceTime camera.

Whether we see USB 3.0, more than 4GB of RAM, or a 512GB SSD option, hard to say.

Other than that, no other changes I would guess. Doubt any sort of form factor change, definitely no 4G/LTE, and a retina display doesn't seem economically (or perhaps even physically) feasible at the 13in or greater size.

I personally just want Ivy Bridge, an HD FaceTime camera, and a lighter/smaller chassis for the 13in. I don't have any USB 3.0 peripherals (which is probably because I have no computers that support it, go figure), nor do I have LTE in my area, nor the need for more than 256GB (I only have the 128GB). 4GB has also treated me fine (even with running Windows 7 virtually), but 6 or 8GB would be nice.

14. caligomez macrumors regular

caligomez

I have a good feeling that the next batch will introduce the "Retina" displays. Even Tim Cook hinted at how resolutionary 2012 will be, and he can't just be talking about the iPad.

However, I'm not so sure what to think about all the speculation pointing to a convergence of the Pro/Air product lines. It is possible they will all be released together, so if the thinner form factor emerges for the Pro, will that then become an air(like) machine? And will it be upgradeable to 8GB of RAM?