Is there any difference at all between official unlocked and non?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Virgo, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

I bought my iPhone 4S AT&T full price from the apple store and it unlocked on its own. It appears to be working fine on T-Mobile (aside from the fact that I can't send or receive MMS) Now that the official unlocked phones are out, I wanted to know is there any difference?

2. iphone4s16gb macrumors 6502

there is 3 kind unlock

1 . software unlock which is = dev team / gevey sim
    2 . official unlock which is company unlock such as = ATT/APPLE
    but official unlock when you restore your iphone it may need to reunlock again
    which mean your phone become lock you have to get code unlock again
    3 . never lock = this is unlock by manufactory , this free to upgrade version
    your phone still unlock , you can restore do what ever you want still unlock all of times ...

i got 1 never lock version iphone 4

1 . software unlock is free but you have to wait so long , currently ios 5
    not release yet

2 . official unlock $ 649/749/849 at www.apple.com now

3 . never lock $ 849/999/1119 at www.atgsm.com now

3. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

there are three kinds of unlock:
    1: jailbreak/baseband/hardware sim (gevey) can be unreliable, can't upgrade to newest software immediately, etc.
    2: factory unlocked from apple, both "official" and unofficial ATT device only. will never have problems.
    3: factory unlocked, with a hefty additional fee charged by bad 3rd party sellers, as shown in the post above.

4. yrchern macrumors member

False, they are unlocked forever.

Totally BS.
    These iPhones are just the same as 2 but imported from other countries that are already selling unlocked iPhones before they are available in the US for $$.

5. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

no difference other than att device only you get to get the att sim card, and the factory unlocked you get the removable paper clip.

6. iphone4s16gb macrumors 6502

well , apple.com unlock sale now is just official unlock ,
    not never lock version , only work in usa , if go to asian country , GSM insert
    no signal

7. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

lol wat? I didn't get anything out of this post! Official unlocked from apple works world wile. Wat in heaven is the never lock version?

8. iphone4s16gb macrumors 6502

* You are chatting with Ayla R, an Apple Expert

Hi, my name is Ayla R. Welcome to Apple!

Ayla R: Hello. How are you doing today?

You: hi

You: apple saling unlock phone ?

You: is it never lock version ?

You: or offical unlock

You: because i will travel asian

You: will it work gsm sim

Ayla R: Yes, we do have the unlocked iPhone 4S now!

You: unlocked is never lock version or what

You: if i'm upgrade firmware will they still unlocked

Ayla R: Who is your carrier now?

You: att

You: but i buy it

You: not using in usa

You: i use in oversea

You: will unlock work oversea

Ayla R: Ok, since AT&T is GSM, they have international coverage, but you will have to talk to them for more infomation, so

Ayla R: You can just simply to an upgrade if you would like.

You: if i upgrade unlock still unlock or lock

Ayla R: If you upgrade, it will be Locked to AT&T, but since

Ayla R: AT&T uses GSM, you can travel oversease with it.

You: so if i upgrade it will become lock

Ayla R: Yes, bu

You: oversea not using att sim

Ayla R: but if you get

You: they used difference carrier

Ayla R: the unlocked iPhone you can use any GSM carriers SIM card.

You: over sea gsm too ?

You: ok , thanks

Ayla R: Yes, if they have a carrier overseas where ever you are going, that uses GSM,

Ayla R is typing...

Type your response here and press Return to send it...
    web browser selector

9. yrchern macrumors member

There are already lots of iPhone 4Ss which are purchased as "device only" (and thus are unlocked) in the US using everywhere in Asia. And we can also confirm this from the description from Apple website: "You can activate and use it on the supported GSM wireless network of your choice".

10. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

sorry but is that even engrish! Wow dude I didn't get from not lock version to factory unlocked from your post!

----------

I guess with his engrish he didn't get or see the difference between the att sub iphone 4s and the att device only at full retail which is factory unlocked. And I think he was trying to ask if his att sub iphone 4s will work overseas which won't due to att. However, att device only full retail price are factory unlocked and can be use overseas and no matter wat it will stay unlocked forever even if you update it and not upgrade like he said! Make sense rite?

11. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

i think he's trying to drum up sales for apple unlocked iPhones at his ny store - at $200 over retail.

12. zap2, Nov 12, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2011

zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

OP, in my mind, it's just not having to worry about things breaking when you upgrade. And also being able to depend on your phone to not break over seas and have control over which carrier you want to use(more so if you aren't in the US, but even here, T Mobile is usable in some places with EDGE only, more so if you're in an area where Wi-Fi is all around, like a college or if you spend the majority of your time at home/work)

I'm not sure if you're trolling, screwing about or just not great at english but try working on your type/writing, don't be afraid to due a dictionary to make things understandable, don't be afraid to prove read things.(I understand it's hard to speak a 2nd language and I give you credit for trying and practicing, but what you're putting out is at a level that doesn't get your message across, but keep practicing and studying)

If you're troll, then forget I mentioned anything, I'm not trying to feed you.

----------

Who? The person who typing is so poor? How would those very annoying posts drum up anything other then upset forum posters? I can see many people seeing the posts and wanting to buy a phone from him(at a premium no less, although it's good to point that out) That said. some of the prices on that site are terrible(like the iPhone being a couple 100 over what is costs in the US) while others are reasonable, like the Nokia E6 which is right around the price you'd find it on amazon, but why not just buy it from amazon, because let's be honest, that doesn't look like the most legit web site ever.

I do like that fact there are many GSM models of phones that were released/announced in the US as CDMA phones(so far) like the Droid RAZR or Milestone 3 or devices that aren't let officially announced for the US like the Galaxy Note or Nokia 701 or devices that won't ever be official announced for the US(Nokia N9)

13. CIA macrumors 6502a

Yea, in that conversation with Apple above, it looks like when the rep is talking about "Upgrade" they mean "Subsidized AT&T upgraded phone". The guy wants to know about it remaining unlocked when you do a OS upgrade or software restore.

Unlocked phones from Apple, as far as I know, you can pop out sims and swap in other ones with ease. Not a huge deal in the US, but overseas it can be a wallet-saver.

14. lifetree macrumors newbie

This is totally BS!
    I am using one Device Only full price one in Vietnam. ( purchased from apple store of course).

It works great. And already upgraded to 5.01.

15. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

i said that was his goal, not that he was doing a good job of it ;)

16. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

You don't know what you are talking about sir.

17. bluemonkeyguy macrumors 6502

I've never cringed and face-palmed this hard... until now.:cool:

18. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

This is the first time ever I've heard about never lock iPhone .. is it new? Did you invent it? And where the hell on Apple's website they sell iPhone for $849/999/1119. There is no never lock iPhone AFAIK. You can only find software unlock, or factory unlock. Period... First time Apple announce iPhone 4s, they only release carrier-tied iPhone, it's not necessarily locked, only you can get it via ATT, Sprint or Verizon.

And yesterday, Apple release official unlocked iPhone which can be used for any carrier, even outside US. Simple as that.

And yeah, english may not be your first language, but reading your post is really irritating. Hard to be understood and all. Troll-like post.