Is there any dongle to get a USB stick to read on iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Manga4life, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Manga4life, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

Manga4life macrumors newbie

Okay, so I have a USB jump drive with about 20 word documents on it as well as a number of videos and some pictures, I was wondering if there was any possible way to get a dongle or an accessory that would allow an iPad to read these files? If so, what's it called and how much does it cost?

Much thanks, in advance.

2. davidinva macrumors 6502a

Does Dropbox work on the iPad? If so, you could create an account and upload your docs and movies there and then to the iPad.

----------

Or, the Camera Connection Kit ($29) which accepts SD cards.

3. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

Yes drop box works on the iPad. They have a dictated app in the app store for it. If you try to open a word doc it sends you right to pages (if installed) not sure about pictures and movies though.

4. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Apple does not "like" you putting files on their devices. I would also like to set up folders and put my Word and Excel files on the iPad but i is not to be.

I use a service like Drop Box and it is simply the very best. It works cross platforms so anyone can get to your files with your permission.

5. APlotdevice, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

There are actually two parts to the camera connection kit: One for SD, and another for USB flash devices (primarily meant to connect your camera to, but flash drives generally work as well). However at present the iPad will only let you import photos and certain video formats, not documents, and for it to even see the files they must be located in a folder called "DCIM" which itself must be in the root directory.

6. warghh macrumors newbie

Unless you jailbreak.

7. Manga4life thread starter macrumors newbie

So if I Jailbreak an iPad is there an app in Cydia that will allow me to access files and stuff off of my flash drive and/or external hard drive? How would that process go? I'm really interested in how to get this done because if it's able to be done I may just run out and buy an iPad today and move away from my Android tablet.

8. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Yup, iFile does just this. It's basically full filesystem access, makes moving files on, off, and within the iPad the same as a desktop. There are also apps to give you command-line access and to let you ssh into your iPad.

9. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

LOL so true... Even after you hand them $600+ dollars for said device.

10. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

It's not so much that they don't "like" you putting files on the device, but that they want you to do it in iTunes.

11. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

It is my 64gb of memory and I paid for it. iTunes does not want to sync my word and excel docs!

12. Manga4life thread starter macrumors newbie

This is exactly why I've avoided an iPad and went with a Android tablet, because I don't want to be told how to use a device I paid for, I want control over it for file transfer and other aspects. So, in order to use iFile I will have to Jailbreak the iPad, correct? Is there a "how to" on how to do this, and if I do this what are the chances of me bricking the device? I wish Apple wouldn't be so "closed" when it comes to their hardware....

13. mwulf67 macrumors regular

I think many of us have that same wish, however, it's not that bad and has no reason to go jailbreaking anything...

As suggested earlier, Dropbox is probably the answer to your problem...

14. buck2520 macrumors newbie

Also try Box.net

You can also use Box.net. Dropbox and Box.net both work on Ipad as well as all other computers. Get 5 GB storage on each with free account. Still not a fan of Ipad because you have to use so many work arounds to accomplish simple transfer task, and don't even get me started with having to hook up to ITunes, what a joke. I also have the camera kit, but as stated it only lets you import pictures and video. Hope the new Apple leadership starts to move away from the closed system Apple now forces upon us. Love the quality of my Ipad, just frustrated with its limitations.

15. inspiredDavid macrumors newbie

You can also sync those documents using Quick Office if memory serves, it'll give you an ip address to log into and you can transfer the files :)

16. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

As long as you backup first, there's no chance of bricking - you can always restore. Assuming you have an iPad 2, the jailbreak just came out today and due to the rush it's hard to get working at the moment. Make sure you are running 5.0.1, don't upgrade if 5.1 comes out, and in a couple days google "iPad 2 5.0.1 jailbreak" and I'm sure there will be a dozen tutorials up.

17. sbddude macrumors 6502a

For video, try the GoodPlayer app, it can transfer files over WiFi or iTunes/USB.

If you're jailbroken you can also use iFile and the camera connection kit.

18. db123, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012

db123 macrumors member

19. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

OK, I've been planning on getting he ipad 3, and in reading this thread, I'm getting the impression that it's a complete hastle to get files on and off the ipad???

How would you accomplish it through itunes?

Can I simply email documents, and save them on to the ipad?

Thank you

20. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

As others have mentioned, Dropbox is the easiest way.

All the jailbreaking/iFile stuff is specifically if you want to get files (other than photos & video) straight from a USB stick.