Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

basketball762

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
I am looking long and hard to find a store/a person to sell an item on eBay for me. I have zero feedback so I know this is going to hold back prospective buyers. I know I have a store near me that's called iSold it on eBay. The only thing is they take 33-40% off of what I sell. There's no way they will take that much off. Thanks in advance! :D

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I am looking long and hard to find a store/a person to sell an item on eBay for me. I have zero feedback so I know this is going to hold back prospective buyers. I know I have a store near me that's called iSold it on eBay. The only thing is they take 33-40% off of what I sell. There's no way they will take that much off. Thanks in advance! :D

When I had zero feedback years ago I was able to sell a faulty PowerMac G4 on eBay at near full price. I just gave a good description of the problem (either a dead CPU or Motherboard) and plenty of detailed pictures. This netted me enough to build my own gaming PC that tripled the specs of the G4.

As long as you give plenty of pictures and a good description you should get a good price for your item. Just don't cut and paste from the companies ads for the product you are selling. That makes the sale look suspicious. The pictures and description need to give prospective buyers the feeling that you spent time to create the ad yourself. Also track the auctions of other items in your category from small time sellers that received the best bid prices, follow those auction layouts as a guide for creating your auction.

Also only accept buyers within your country and Paypal for payment only. You can set a reserve but do not make it too high, say around 25% of expected price which is less than what those middlemen charge. Pay extra for the preview picture for the ad, border, bold text and featured items to increase visibility. Leave the opening amount at zero since that does not matter due to the reserve but will encourage bidding.

Assuming you are selling a computer your next best bet is craigslist. Which will bring a price close to eBay after auction and paypal fees are factored in. Just deal with local people, cash only.

nobunaga209

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
TX
Not sure where you're located but there are several mom and pop shops around that will post items for you on ebay, craigslist, etc. for a nominal fee. They take the pics, post, everything...all you have to do pretty much is show up with the item and agree to whatever their % is.

JHatch

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2008
Portland
I'm going to go a little off-topic here; I don't want to clutter the forum with a new thread.

What are some good tips to selling safely on eBay? I'm offing my CE Macbook 2.4 (unrelated to the new ones... it's too heavy when my rheumatoid decides to be a bitch) and needs some advices.

I get the whole don't ship until you have payment, ship only within your country, require a signature upon delivery. But what's to keep someone from claiming you gypped them, keeping your laptop, and getting their money back? Does getting dicked happen frequently, or does it just get a disproportional amount of coverage when it does happen?

Anyone have some personal experience?

nobunaga209

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
TX
^^ I used to sell refurbed cell's on eBay and made the mistake of including questionable overseas spots. It's pretty much hit or miss on eBay; sometimes its smooth sailing and others it's just the next guy trying to get over on you. My advice, use local classifieds or post in forums your established on [where you may know the local crowd] word of mouth can go a long way to sell your item. I'm not against eBay in anyway, just know that if you go that route especially with a VERY popular item odds are someone will try and scam you.

JHatch

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2008
Portland
I've made it pretty clear in my listing that I'm only going to ship inside the US to a confirmed address using PayPal... but I'm not convinced that'll keep the spammers and griefers away. I'm kinda only using eBay because I'm hoping I'll get lucky and sell it for more than I really should be able to (I've heard fantastical tales of people even on these here forums getting lucky like that). But yeah, I know what you mean... it really is a hit or miss thing, isn't it? A shame eBay doesn't buckle down on the Wild West-esque nature of the place.

nobunaga209

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
TX
I agree; seems like they really don't take it seriously enough. They know good and well how crazy the scammers are on there. Oh well, good luck on your sale though! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.