All iPads Is there any hardware risk of buying iPad day 1?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by e5volcano, Oct 19, 2013.

1. e5volcano macrumors regular

thinking of buying the new iPad on release date after Apple announces it.

Just wondering if there is any risk or if Apple has had prior history of first production models having defects. I know for example that the first production line units of the 2011 iMac had screen bleeding and hard drive issues.

2. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

iPad/phone issues are usually design centric, so the 2nd or 3rd month is the same as the 1st. Now if you can wait 6 months, that would give them time to learn from returns, etc. Another factor is venders. Some models, they can only get a new screen from say Samsung, then add less good suppliers over time, in which case sooner is better.

I bought my mini last year, first day. No dead pixels, but 10 months in I started getting ghosting. They swapped it out with a whole new unit, perhaps latest production and I've got 2 dead pixels. I'd say go for it when you want it, they'll take care of you either way.

3. e5volcano thread starter macrumors regular

Was the fix by Apple? Did they fix it because you bought or were under warranty, or was it a free model line fix (like what Apple did a few months ago to the iMacs that were bought in 2011).

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I've bought iPads 1-3, and the mini, all on launch days or by first day preorder, and never had a problem with any of them.

5. bobright macrumors 601

The iPad 2's had a LOT of bad screens on launch light blobs there were tons of threads here, light blobs ll over the place Apple supposedly dropped Sharp over it at the time. Hope they learned from it they are usually good had tons of iPhones on launch with no problems.

6. e5volcano thread starter macrumors regular

What worries me is that if iPad Mini 2 has retina, there might be issues since they've never done mini retina screens before

7. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

They've been making retina displays for iPhones for 3 years now. I don't see why this would be a problem for them.

8. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I'd worry, but not too much. I buy from Best Buy, so I can drive 10 minutes and get my money back for 45 days. ;)

9. 7thson, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013

7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

There's the risk you might be mocked by Samsung. In addition to what others have said here in this thread.

10. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

I'm gonna buy an iPad 5 after Otterbox makes a Defender case for it. Then I will sell my iPad 4. Don't wanna spend any length of time not possessing one that's why I'm selling it after I purchase the new one.