Is there any hope for more memory?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SSonnentag, Aug 18, 2013.

1. SSonnentag macrumors member

I find 64GB to be too restricting. I'd like to be able to carry my entire music and audio book library with me instead of having to pick and choose what to download. The sync process is too slow to make changing the phone's content practical on a regular basis. I'd be happy with 256GB. Any takers? :)

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Hardly... there are 256GB NAND modules, but they are engineering test grade and prohibitively expensive for at least the next 5 years.

Not to mention, they are slow. (10MB/s read/write)

3. SSonnentag thread starter macrumors member

Well, I can wish. :)

I'm hoping Toshiba can soon hook Apple up with some higher capacity NAND chips.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Oh progress doesn't stop, so probably getting a 128GB next alliteration.

Surely,you are not changing the whole 64GB at every sync.

Doesn't matter what we take.

Channeling Paul Teutul Sr: Customer will buy what we make!

5. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

256gb. jesus christ. the things people complain about with the incredible devices we have

6. CelestialToys macrumors 6502

If it's just music and audio books you want to have available have you considered itunes match?

I've found it well worth the nominal yearly fee Apple charges to be able to listen to what I want when I want from my collection, so much so that my 32Gb iphone is only ever half full and that is mostly apps and photos/videos

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I don't think that's going to be enough for me.
    I'm waiting for a 1TB iPhone.

8. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Everyone can wish.

If we see 128GB we will be lucky. Not going near 256GB for a while. I think you need to seriously prioritize what you have on your phone. I have 90GB of docs, music and photos on my 128GB iPad and could have less and get by.

9. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

There's a news story on MacRumors with speculation that the 5S range will include 128GB - which I'm definitely hoping for.

Thread link;

iPhone 5S to Be Available in Gold with 128 GB Option?

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

In the past 5 years the storage capacity of the phone has increased by a factor of 16. I don't see it as outlandish (and outside of technological progress) to expect increased storage as time goes on.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

While there is always hope, I don't see the capacities changing. Apple and others want you to use their cloud services.

12. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Don't think so. Apple probably doesn't want to make those larger capacities so customers can focus on their cloud storage options.

13. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I would love for Apple to make 32 GB the standard - especially since HTC did it this year what I consider one of (if not THE) the best smartphones of 2013.

No expandable storage, higher graphics capabilities = larger apps with no room to put them. The cloud is awesome for documents, photos and music - but I store all that in the cloud already and still am about half-full on my 32 GB iPhone.

I don't need/want the really high storage options. Just would like the standard to inch up as apps become more robust.

To be honest, if people (and devs) didn't have to worry about the storage on their phone, we might see more robust apps that actually take advantage of all that power we hold in our hands (yes, even on the iPhone).

One can hope :D

14. Dented macrumors 6502a

Although I managed to fund my move to 64GB only this year, I would like to see them bring down those memory prices and make more storage available to people. 16GB is too small, what with universal retina apps, HD pics and video etc - and even some cloud features like shared photo streams can take up a lot of room. I understand why they don't support SD cards etc, but they can't keep treating 32 and 64GB like a luxury feature at the same time.

15. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Nope. It's 64GB forever. 640KB is all you need anyway.

Of course there's hope.

There's never enough storage. Has always been that way -- even back when my first PC had a 120MB (yes, MB) hard drive -- and will continue to be that way.

16. dave420 macrumors 65816

They they need to come out with better cloud services. I have a bunch of pictures on my phone, and nothing they offer helps with that. I can't even use iCloud to backup my phone without paying $100 a year. That's ridiculous just to backup my phone while offering me no additional storage. These cloud services that everyone mentions do absolutely nothing to help me, unless draining my wallet more every year is helpful.

17. Ffosse macrumors 6502a

I don't have an iPhone, rather 2 Sony Androids which are 8 and 16Gb but accept microSD cards.

I do have a 64Gb iPod Touch 5th Gen. and that's never enough space for me; I keep having to swap out old albums when I add something new...but that's just me, there is stuff on there I never listen to and I should consider something like iTunes Match.

Have recently started using Google Play Music All Access on my phones and it works pretty well.

18. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

My first computer had 1KB of Memory and stored data to Cassette Tape.

1GB is 1048576 KB.

Sinclair ZX80 Specs

:D :eek:

People that want to fully make use of the features of their technology will always find a way to use the available storage as you say.

19. ajiuo macrumors 65816

I think a better alternative to more memory would be for apple to fix itunes match.. I cant even use it because it always gives me clean versions of songs.. ::/

20. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

While I am all for more memory, I agree that Apple has it's head in the Cloud.

21. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

The problem is the lack of "real" unlimited cellular data options.

22. Mrbobb macrumors 601

That's Apple, always sanitizing stuff for us. :D

Apple won't do this because there is no money for them, but I want a MusicMatch feature where if request is not on the phone it goes out on the Net, not to Apple, but talks to my home iTunes server, which wakes up, and upload the correct dirty version.

while iTunes is at it. Know how that Fusion drive works, keep the most accessed stuff on solid state memory, iTunes smart will unload the oldest media I haven't touched in months, automatically. AND expertly identifies what mood I am in lately and swap the appropriate tunes to my phone automatically. Gets them there before I even request them. DREAM ON?

23. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Sadly, I think this is true.

Cloud services are not a great replacement for local storage for me. My 1 GB of data doesn't go very far in contrast to 60GB storage. I also use my phone as a primary source of entertainment when traveling internationally. I'm hoping for an upward storage shift on the while line.

24. CelestialToys macrumors 6502

Sorry I forget that the US providers are very tight on their data allowances, I'm in the UK and am fortunate to have fully unlimited data...