Is there any legit method to get DVD's onto the i-products?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by appleproducts1, Jul 19, 2013.

1. appleproducts1 macrumors newbie

My understanding is no?

Thats ridiculous though that you can only use content from the itunes store. First they dont have everything. And you might already have a hard dvd copy of the media.

Is there a way to load dvds onto the ipad or ipod?

2. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

3. Dannel macrumors member

Handbrake is OK. The only downside is that Handbrake cannot copy the commerical DVD with copy protection. If you want to get this kind of protected DVD to ipad, you have to find another app.

4. simsaladimbamba

While HandBrake might not be able to copy a video DVD (no matter if copy-protected or not), it is not meant to anyway, it can still read a video DVD (copy protected and not copy protected) and transcode its video and audio stream to an .mp4 or .mkv file using a variety of ways, having the LIBDVDCSS installed will help doing so with copy protected video DVDs.

Anyway, what is that other app, since that is probably why you posted here?

5. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

If only AnyDVD were available for the Mac it would be easy to get DVD's onto i-devices from the Mac. It is a trivial one-step process if you have a Windows machine though.

If you have a Windows box laying around one can easily convert DVD's and Blu-Ray discs to .m4v files via HandBrake and AnyDVD HD.

A Mac alternative is MakeMKV. It's a two step process. You use MakeMKV to well, make an .mkv file. Then use HandBrake to convert the .mkv file to a .m4v file for use on an i-device.

6. simsaladimbamba

HandBrake is already a one-step procedure, unless you needs a physical copy of the MPEG-2 stream, though HandBrake can even do that in an MKV container.

7. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Is HandBrake (without anything else installed) on the Mac a one-step procedure for DVD's? I know for Blu-Ray discs it is not. One has to first make an .mkv container file.

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yep, pretty much is a one-step process. Select the source (DVD), then choose your output destination and preset and begin the rip.

9. chabig macrumors 68040

There are other apps that are "one-step". MacDVDRipper Pro is one.

10. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Since when? I rip commercial DVDs with HandBrake all the time on both OS X and Windows, never had problems.

11. malman89 macrumors 68000

HandBrake is free and on Windows as well if you ever wanted to give it a shot. Just like VLC, I feel its interface is better in OS X, but it helped me out a few times at work and needing a free solution.