iPhone X Is there any legitimate reason a network wouldn't unlock a fully paid off iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kendo, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Kendo macrumors 68020

I saw a listing on eBay for an AT&T iPhone X that had a clean IMEI and no iCloud activation lock. But he was adamant that the phone can only be used on AT&T in the US and cannot be unlocked. Assuming the phone is fully paid off, what could the reason be?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

No sure except it sounds like the seller tried to get it unlocked and AT&T refused for a good reason.

3. BigG94 macrumors member

In the words of King Arthur from Monty Python and the Holy Grail ... "Run away! Run away!"

4. gurase macrumors 6502

It could have been purchased from a place like Best Buy and locked under the reseller flex policy. People often have trouble unlocking these phones because AT&T and Best Buy each think the other party is responsible.

5. nburwell, Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2018

nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

I doubt the phone is paid off. The seller probably still owes money on the device. Considering this is eBay, I wouldn't chance it.

What does the sellers feedback say?

6. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Clean IMEI and no Activation lock to them = not stolen or not reported stolen (yet?)

It can still be on a payment plan.

7. Knight3 Suspended

If it has been fully paid off you can just go to https://www.att.com/deviceunlock and unlock any AT&T device even when you're not the owner of the device.

Just be sure to choose that you're NOT a wireless customer. You can use your own email for confirmation purposes and it'd take only a few hours for the device to be unlocked if it's CLEAN and paid off.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Be warned if you are going to buy as the seller stated clearly that it can only be used on AT&T so eBay is not going to help you when you find this to be a problem.

9. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68020

What if I am a wireless AT&T customer, can I not choose this to unlock it if my account is in good standing?

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Are you will to make the payments if it is not paid off?

If you are an AT&T customer you should not need to unlock it.

They likely will unless there is a direct reason for them to not do it.

11. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68020

I want to unlock it so I can use it overseas when I travel.

12. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I understand but if there is a reason that AT&T has for not unlocking you will get screwed.

You are at risk on this unless you confirm with AT&T that the IMEI is clean paid off in full.

13. Knight3 Suspended

It's faster and easier with less hassle to do with the NOT a customer option if you're planning to unlock someone else's device. You can use the customer option if you're submitting the request for your own device that's already been active on your account.

If the device hasn't been paid off or if there's some kind of hold on the device the unlock won't go through.