Is there any point buying a laptop if you already have an iPad?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iSlave, Sep 19, 2011.

1. iSlave macrumors 6502

Hi,
    I'm really struggling here. I'm in the market for a new computer, and was kinda set on a 13'' MBP or an iMac. I've already got an iPad though which makes me think a 13'' laptop is a bit redundant considering. Does anyone else have this combination? What do you think is the best choice?

2. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

It all depends. Your lifestyle, your needs and the way you work with computers will give you the answer. Do you have a main computer? How do you use your iPad? What would you do with a laptop that you cannot do so well now?

3. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I would buy a cheap desktop unless you need a portable computer other than your iPad. When I'm traveling I use my iPad with keyboard almost exclusively, and connect back to my Mac at home using TeamViewer for those rare things I cannot do with my iPad on the road.

-t

4. iSlave thread starter macrumors 6502

Thing is, my computing needs have changed drastically over the past year. I used to be into video editing, some 3d work..but I've totally lost interest. I have no main computer and the iPad has been my only device for quite some time now, but I need something to store and manage my iTunes library and photos at the very least. It's hard to know what to get when I can't really define my needs anymore!

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It All Depends

On what you need from your machine. I have an iPad, and it's great for a lot of things, but I still need a laptop for work purposes. I'm getting rid of my Windows lappy and my new MBA is on it's way.

If an iPad does everything you need to do with a laptop then don't buy one. Nobody ever said that an iPad is a direct laptop replacement though.

6. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I would wait to see if iOS 5 helps with what you need with storage. It doesn't really sound like you need a computer, for any other reason than storage, so I'd wait and see.

7. snowydog macrumors 6502

I see you had a Toshiba Satellite but you're getting a MacBook Air and you will be using it for work...

I've a few questions - I have an iPad 2, did have a Sony vaio (sitting upstairs broke), a Toshiba Satellite with work (even though I still work there, I'm going part time for final year of uni so they wanted my laptop to give to the new secretary....not sure what they are going to give me next)...I'm also looking into getting a MBA or MBP ...

Do you use a lot of office documents at work? I need to ensure I am completely compatible with my colleagues as they all work from Toshiba's and use office...

What was it that made you want to move from Windows to Mac? Just out of curiosity really...

:)

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I have both a macbook air 13" and an iPad. I got the air first. Personally for me, the iPad can do everything that I need a portable computer to do, so when the time comes to replace my laptop it will be replaced with a desktop iPad combo. Basically if you need portability and more power than the iPad at the same time then it makes sense to get both, otherwise get an iPad and use a desktop when you need more power.

9. bocomo macrumors 6502

I also have a desktop and ipad combo

The only time i use the laptop is for software demos like photoshop, etc.

10. BurningJah macrumors regular

I have an iMac Ipad Macbook combo.

the only use my macbook gets is for downloading, because my Wi-fi is ***** upstairs I take it with me downstairs.

My iPad is for movies, some games, some work

and my iMac is my main machine!

11. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

i'm another example of someone with the desktop (iMac)+iPad combo and for me it works really well. The iMac is the "Workhorse/media server" the iPad is the "lifestyle aide/portable/couch computer".

When it boils down to it though you have to ask yourself the same question you should when buying any new computer; do you need portability? Unless you can think of specific examples why you need it go with a desktop, you get much more computer for your money, especially with an iMac!