Is there any point in me getting a macbook since seeing you can install oSX on a pc?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Laughingman13, May 30, 2010.

1. Laughingman13 macrumors member

So I heard that you can install OSX on a PC by using a emulator or something.

Whats the point of getting a macbook if I can do this?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Are you aware of what's involved, particularly on a laptop?

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's not like put the disk in and click install. It's VERY hard and long process, which involves a lot downloading and lots of time and there is still possibility that your laptop ain't supported at all. Unless you are 100% that your laptop can be Hackintoshed and someone has done it and can help and tell you what you need, pay the extra for MacBook and stop worrying.

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

And.... just for the record, and not to nag, but there are also guidelines on this forum about this kind of thing too ... the Apple license states that the OS is to be installed only on Apple hardware. Installing on a PC is violation of the license. And, to be fair....Apple does not seem to really fuss too much if individuals are breaking the terms of the license. But you will get no support from Apple for any issues that may arise. You install OS X entirely at your own risk.

5. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Installing OS X on a pc [laptop] is like buying a car, painting it red & adding some some stickers then asking "what's the point in buying a Farrari?".

6. Laughingman13 thread starter macrumors member

No please do tell.

They have so much guides on youtube and what not explaining step by step on how to do this that I don't think difficulty is really something to worry about.

I am planning to buy a regular macbook today and I was just wondering whats the point of paying so much for a notebook if other people can basically pay for superior specs and then have the OSX.

If apple take some time to secure their OSX then maybe it would be worth the trouble for me to get a macbook.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

First of all, start googling and searching is your laptop supported and if it is, what installer you have to use and what versions of OS X can you run. Then download the modified OS X and start installing. It's more than likely that you have to install several times and try different installers. If you somehow manage to get to desktop, start seeking for drivers and trying different things like LAN and sound that they work. Then it's still possible that your components aren't supported well so you end up getting crashes and freezes by time to time.

Unless you're lucky, it'll take several weeks to get it working and that's IF your laptop is supported.

http://insanelymac.com/ is best place for Hackintosh help

The biggest issue is wether your laptop is support or NOT. Those guides are useless unless you have exactly the same laptop. It looks easy but that's after weeks of research and sweating.

It looks like you have no idea how hard is it.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Take a look at the forum tutorials on www.insanelymac.com. Find a laptop with hardware specs and price you are happy with, an installation procedure you are comfortable with and limitations (there is always some hardware that has no OSX drivers for it) you can live with.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of OSX itself.

9. Laughingman13 thread starter macrumors member

I know its just that its so a rip that people can get OSX on their computers when OSX was supposed to be only for MAC hardware.

I don't know.. It just feels so wrong that you can go up an extra step to get somethings cheaper.

10. AshMan macrumors regular

I've done the hackintosh thing on a pc laptop that had all the right hardware. For basic stuff worked great. But when doing quip/ video stuff or intensive stuff it would always kernel panic and not everything worked right out of the box. Took a while to get it running ok. Custom bios boot loader. Efi. Kexts. It was fun for me to do but ultimately ended up buying a MacBook that now gives me the best of all worlds. Triple boot osx windows 7 and ubuntu. And all run 100% perfect.

The other laptop is now on windows 7 happily.

11. vistadude macrumors 65816

Macbook is thinner, quieter, and gets better battery life. OS X will likely run a lot smoother on a macbook than a hackintosh. People will ridicule you when your hackintosh shows apple wallpaper but powerpoint crashes on the projector and then they see you have a dell :D

12. kungfumonkey macrumors newbie

Yes, get a Mac.

If you put OS X on a PC, you will turn into a know-it-all with tons of answers that either A) don't make sense, or B) don't work, and then your laptop will transform into a craptop and spread ideas like a virus to other suspect-craptop-creators worldwide.

Before you know it you will be posting more garbage on the net about how cool your craptop is never to actually realize that it really actually sucks. And you'll then learn how to hack up a POS screenshot that you "annotate" which will further highlight the coolness even though it's all lies.

13. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...please keep us updated to how your new laptop works, good luck with your project!

14. miicah macrumors regular

Hackintosh works better on desktop machine where battery life and extra FN keys don't cause as many issues.