is there any point to having vent holes on the bottom of MBA cases?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by arrowtree, Nov 30, 2013.

1. arrowtree macrumors member

While searching for cases/shells for MBA 11-inch(2013), I got really confused as to some cases have vent holes on the bottom. Some don't.

Does it really matter? While it's not exactly the same, my iPad 64GB 3G has been inside the Otterbox Defender case since day one. During the last 2 years, it never had any problems. This morning, I finally took it out for the first time in 2 years. The iPad looked brand new. The Otterbox had protected it well even after several severe drops.(including one the fell from the overhead bin to the floor of a regional jet)

I just wish Otterbox made a Defender case for the MBA... yeah... nobody except me is going buy it. :D

2. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

They certainly don't hurt. Any extra air you can get to the components inside is a good thing.

Will the Air have an issue without them? Only if you're running heavy usage programs that create a lot of heat. Otherwise I doubt you'd have many problems.

3. arrowtree thread starter macrumors member

is watching 720p/10800p videos considered "heavy" usage for the MBA?
    (H.264 encoded at 2500kbps or less, 1280x720 or 1920x1080 resolution,
    with German SRT subtitles)

4. The-Pro macrumors 65816

nope, thats not heavy at all.
    especially not if its playing in quicktime.

It doesnt hurt having the vent holes though. I would choose one that has them.

5. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

i played starcraft2 on my MBA a few times and that was the only time i ever heard the fans come on.