Is there any positive definition of a liberal remaining?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Chew Toy McCoy, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I think it has successfully been bastardized and is mostly just a buzzword used by baby boomers and democrat politicians when trying to gloss over their lies. At best the term means a person who really isn’t all that bothered by the long list of things that keep conservatives up at night clinging to their guns and bibles.

I’m not saying the left is wrong. I lean left. I’m saying the term liberal has been depleted of all its positive weight and meaning, and if democrat policies are any indicator of what a liberal is on just about everything except for a few social issues I am certainly not a liberal.

2. elistan macrumors 6502a

I posted this this elsewhere, and it still is my belief.

"I hate labels like left, right, liberal, progressive, conservative - they mean different things to different people and are thus effectively meaningless. Their only use seems to be to apply to other people as a pejorative, or to obfuscate somebody's real position."

So 'liberal' can mean anything you want it to mean, and if you make it mean something that's positive to you, then there's a positive definition of a liberal.

3. samcraig macrumors P6

Liberal, Snowflake, Fake News, MSM - all have been rendered meaningless because it's used to death and without an agreement as to the true meaning.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The term "liberal" has been thrown around as a pejorative for as long as I can remember. I don't care. I'll even add "squishy" and "soft-hearted" when describing myself, just to let conservatives know that I don't give a **** about the label.

You can call me a liberal anytime.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Conservative has even less meaning now. It used to mean thrifty with money. Now it means religious nut ball against anything but rich white men.

6. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

Both parties have lost their meaning. Now it's just a bunch of bi partisan division against each other with no real substance.

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Positive definition?

Apply lubricant liberally.

There's one!

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Don't agree. Do you think HRC would have pulled out of the Paris Climate Agreement? Or turned back policy on Cuba? Or crippled/repealed Obamacare? Or choosen to build a giant concrete wall on the border?

Yeah, both sides ... they're all the same.

9. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

Of course not, but my comment is not meant to be taken as past tense. Elections are over and Hillary is old news, the rest is a bunch of "what if's" and this is the problem with the left. The party itself is never going to get anywhere if people keep dwelling on the past.

10. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I think Clinton would have burnt most of her calories making the economic gap even wider in favor of the rich. At the end of the day that's all that most people care about. Everything else is mostly just a sideshow.

11. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Ok but I won't call you squishy. Although it has a nice ring to it.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Right. Global Warming is just a sideshow.

Enjoy!
    --- Post Merged, Jun 22, 2017 ---
    o_O I simply don't have a reply. I'm just going to sit here and quietly weep for humanity.

13. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Being liberal is something to be proud of where I'm from. It's only certain Americans that seem to think it's a term of stigma.

14. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Yes, since Trump didn’t sign off on the Paris agreement Telsa and all other green related companies and projects closed shop and Americans stopped caring. I remember that day well.

15. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

I think you're confusing Hillary with Trump tax reform plan, because that's exactly what it does.

16. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Both Liberal and Consevative mean what they have always meant. If it does not to you, admit that you are wing nut and move on.

17. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Hmmm. I've never really thought of the term "liberal" as being pejorative. So if anyone reading this was offended by me calling them a liberal, I do apologize. :)

It's just a way to group people together based on commonly held ideas and values. And while I disagree with many "common liberal ideas", (perhaps too stringently sometimes) there are many that I think are good. I typically side with liberals on environmental protection. I'm probably more liberal on undocumented residents currently here (although we do need to stop illegal crossings). I'm actually rethinking my position on single payer (thanks in large part to several liberals on this board who's opinions I do respect).

So, no, I don't think being a liberal is a bad thing. Just a different way of seeing the world. Sometimes that's a good thing.

18. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I'm not confusing anything. Trump is using his methods and she has hers with a lot more corrupt government backdoor deals experience.

As a reminder I lean left, but the sooner Democrats realize that Clinton was one of the worst candidates in history to run for president the sooner they can hopefully have a clue and move forward. You can prattle on all you want about the popular vote and the electoral college, but the fact of the matter is it shouldn’t have even been that close, especially considering who she was running against. If your only measurement bar and focus is Trump then that is why you will continue to lose. The party of smug needs a new direction, or I don’t know, maybe follow the direction they constantly lie about being on.

19. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I've noticed people here in the PRSI that use the term liberal as a pejorative are often the same people claiming to know how liberals feel about an issue before ever uttering a word.... It would border on psychic if the statements they claim weren't so off base. There's another word starting off with 'psyc' that describes this behaviour... oh yes psychotic!

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think Clinton would have left the rich much the same. Or perhaps raised their taxes like her husband.

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Hillary was a **** candidate. But ask yourself, will we be better or worse off after 2 years of Trump. I'd still take Clinton over this train wreck.

22. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

What's wrong with the term liberal? Yes, Reagan tried to redefine it, and since then it has a bad connotation, but only to those young enough or dumb enough to believe him and the propagandists who followed him.

And if not liberal, what term are we to use? Progressive? In the minds of many, much the same thing.

23. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

That's not a positive definition like you just posted.

It's hatred. Plain and simple.

24. StarShot macrumors 6502

StarShot

What's the point about whether you're liberal or conservative. Is Apple coming out with new products for Libs or Repubs only? Take this thread over to Huffington Post where it belongs. The country is polorized enough without it here. Just saying...

25. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I can't help thinking once again of the example of Rush Limbaugh and his caller discussing the Democrats kneeling in prayer after Rep. Scalise was shot. The two of them were in total agreement that it was an uber-hypocritical display because, as we all know, Democrats are all atheists and they only express concern for others when there's a camera present.

Yeah. I know.

Most times when I hear a Republican describing liberals and their views, I just shake my head and think, "What the **** are they talking about?"