Is there ANY prospect of a 27" iMac update pre-April 6th?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Thunderbird8, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Thunderbird8 macrumors regular

Thunderbird8

I'm thinking about upgrading and I have to do it during this tax year (UK), but I'm happy to leave it till nearer the time if there is a possibility of an update on the horizon.

Views appreciated.

2. chabig macrumors 68040

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Anyone's guess, and mine is iMac updates prior to April 9 are slim to none.

4. Thunderbird8 thread starter macrumors regular

Thunderbird8

I tend to agree...just a sanity check really.

I wonder what the update to the high spec 27s will be anyway...?

5. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

You have to wait just like the rest of us, this is rumor site and a rumor by definition is information that tends to be false or if you're lucky has a few correct guesses.

6. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

I hope it will update soon, but it feels a bit too early, since the current isnt that old. But, both nvidia and Intel are shipping new processor and GPU around in february/march, so it would make sense if the iMac would get a tiny silent update with these. I really want a new iMac with the 880M geforce card. Anything else than this wont happen, the current design is too new for any major refreshes. Cross my fingers they wont just wait 6 months despite new hardware comes out.

7. deluxeshredder macrumors 6502a

I don't think anyone outside Apple knows.

Some of the Mac revision updates have been surprising, there is no obvious roadmap like with iOS devices and leaks are very scarce.

8. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

Just throwing it out their, if Apple updated their iMacs. Speaking Hypothetically.

What processor's/GPUs could they even put in the 2014 iMacs if they released them in say March?

I don't think Intel has new processors out till Q2, which could be April-June I think.

As far as GPU's go, I think the only option for high end would be 880MX. Which is the same as the 780MX but only change is 8GB of Ram.

A quick google search shows the lower end cards like the 850m aren't even out yet.

I have money on a Fall/Winter release of the iMacs this year.

I mean... they could lower the price of Ram/Flash Storage and add an 880mx as the new high end card. But it just seems like so much work.