Is there any quick way to buy a BTO 11/13 Air ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by varunkrish, Jul 15, 2012.

1. varunkrish macrumors member

I'm traveling to the US this month and plan to pick up a Macbook Air.

The config i want is a 11 inch with 128GB SSD ,8GB of RAM and an i7 processor.

I don't think it will arrive before I leave.Apple says 1-2 weeks. also macmall says 2-3 weeks

What if I place order to pick up at an Apple Store and cancel the order if it does not arrive in time ?

2. asting macrumors 6502

If you order it to an address don't pay for the additional "faster" shipping. There are plenty of threads and stories about how this doesn't let you get your computer faster. Mine took a week, when i paid for the 2-3day shipping (they did refund, but the point is it won't help).

3. KPOM macrumors G5

Where in the US are you coming? The NYC stores have a lot of BTO configurations in stock. I don't know about the i7 with 128GB SSD, but I picked up an 11.6" i7/8GB/256GB setup at Grand Central last month.

Ordering online with a foreign credit card can be tricky.

4. varunkrish thread starter macrumors member

That's interesting ! I'll look up that model on the online store.

I'll be mostly in California

5. DaveWil macrumors member

Check the local stores. They commonly have other configurations in stock. Also remember that you will have to pay another 8 to 10% in tax above the listed price.

6. Power Macintosh macrumors member

Power Macintosh

Wow, we BOTH have the EXACT same specs! I heard that's the world's most powerful MacBook Air.

I placed my order yesterday, it was really shocking to find out that I have to wait 10 days before it arrives.

Better late than never. :p

But about the canceling thing... I wouldn't recommend it. Usually, configurations last 3 days, then they ship it. You can't cancel it by then. You will have to stay and receive it or else it's someone else's MacBook Air.

7. MacBird macrumors 6502

I used the expedited shipping option for my BTO MBA, ordered on Monday and received it on Friday morning (U.S. East Coast).

For the OP, you might want to contact your credit card company, a shipping address in a different country might raise a red flag in their system. Depending on your native language, if you get a computer here, it will have the U.S. keyboard, in case that matters to you.

8. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

It's all about planning ahead (more than a few weeks). Stop writting and start ordering ;)

9. varunkrish thread starter macrumors member

Yep will be a killer macbook air, 10 days is not bad at all if i order now.

10. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

If you're willing to deal with the added cost of the 256GB SSD, almost all Apple stores carry the $1,649 i7/8GB RAM/256GB SSD 11" model.

11. varunkrish thread starter macrumors member

Appreciate the warning, I'm typing this on a Macbook Air I purchased through Apple Online Store last year :)

I totally love the U.S keyboard :D

12. varunkrish thread starter macrumors member

wow really ? Let me call the store in downtown SFO or Palo Alto and check

13. fyrefly macrumors 6502a

AFAIK the only BTO that Apple Stores stock are the "ultimate" models. The 13" that tops out at $2200 or so and the 11" that tops out at $1600 or so. I haven't seen any other BTOs available.

14. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

Many of the less-traveled Apple retail stores don't stock any MBA configurations with 8GB RAM. I was hoping to buy my 11/i7/8/256 at retail and thus avoid the shipping wait. Only the larger metro area stores - Manhattan, for example - seem to stock anything beyond the "consumer-oriented" models with 4GB of RAM.

15. mzeb macrumors member

mzeb

Just got your exact model a week ago...

It is awesome, first and foremost. I'm in Seattle and both the U-District and Bellevue stores carried the "ultimate" model and said that for the 128 I'd have to do a custom config through the online store.