Is there any reason I would regret updating to iOS 7.1.2 from 7.04?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by TH55, Jul 19, 2014.

1. TH55, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014

TH55 macrumors 68030

Please be sure to mention anything and be specific, even if it didn't bother you. I have had a bad experience with updating and then regretting it.

Are there any issues with keyboard shortcuts not working?

Most importantly - are there any features they changed/removed/added?

2. I7guy macrumors G5

As you must be aware staying on 7.0.4 is more of a risk than updating to the newest version. Critical issues have been fixed in iOS in the almost 8 months since 7.0.4 came out.

3. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Gotcha, thanks. How about as far as functionality/features go?

4. Lefty21 macrumors regular

Here you can see all the documented changes between iOS 7.0.4 and 7.1.2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_history#iOS_7.x

5. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Cool thanks. Lastly, anything specific that would improve performance/speed on a 4S? Or is this newer software going to slow it down?

6. g35 macrumors 6502a

Other than glitches that are specific to your particular device, which happen sometimes,, there are no known issues that would make your phone worse. 7.1 had an update to the animation speed which will make your phone feel faster if you have reduce motion turned off.

The only thing I can think of is some people have trouble completing the update, so they have to do a hard reset of their phone, but this is rare, and easy to fix.

7. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I think you would have already incurred most of the big slowdown going from iOS 6 to iOS 7. This third digit increment is not going to result in any major degradation of your experience. Apple will introduce the next performance cliff at iOS 8.

8. Daniel3102 macrumors 6502

IT IS FAST!! Lol! Compared to 7.0.4, it is ver fast while opening apps and basically all of the animations.

9. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

If you have a problem with your phone being faster don't upgrade:D

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

7.1 improves a fair bit as far as performance and stability goes, especially for slightly older phones.

11. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I do wonder if battery life was a little better back in the 7.0x days, but maybe my battery was just newer then.

12. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

What do you think of the change to the shift/caps key's coloration?

13. blakek macrumors member

7.0.4 and 7.0.6 were awful

update, you won't regret it

14. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

FWIW, going from 7.0.6 to 7.1 and now 7.1.2, my phone runs noticeably faster and crashes have been relegated to a handful of apps that regularly crashed before. Then again, in my experience, each iteration of iOS 7 reduced the crashes and ran slightly smoother. I thought by the time iOS 7 reached 7.0.6, Apple had eliminated most of the major issues.

7.1 introduced some interface changes (including a few that I don't particularly like, such as the look of the new incoming call screen), but in my experience there's no drawback whatsoever to making the update. My phone runs noticeably faster and more reliably, and upgrading from 7.0.4 includes several important security updates.

The only issues to look out for would be changes to the settings that reduce battery life, such as enabling Bluetooth by default and changes to location services (beginning with 7.1.1). If you have location services enabled for all apps, you might want to look into selectively switching it off, since it now refreshes in the background.

----------

I think it's a wash. Apple probably better optimized the battery drain after issues began appearing with 7.1. But, they also started allowing location services to update in the background with 7.1.1. Maybe you should switch off location services for those apps that really don't need it, and see if the battery drain changes.

15. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

What do you think about the change in coloration of the caps key? Sounds trivial but it is very distracting for some reason.

16. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that's one of the interface changes that I did not like. I eventually got used to it, but that and the revised incoming call screen are my two biggest quibbles. Minor details IMO compared to the improved reliability and security fixes. If you wind up with battery life issues, then look at the location services and background app refresh.

17. I7guy macrumors G5

The change wasn't an issue, the implementation is not to my liking from the beginning. Put a dot on it or something. The way it is now and was is counter intuitive.

18. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Why do they constantly fix things that aren't broken? I don't notice any improvement in speed or stability. But I certainly notice that annoying caps key. I really am absolutely done with updates.

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

It doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks about it, only what you think about it (if you even think about it at all).

20. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Um... I love it :D. And even if I hated it its worth the speed bump

21. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

Security updates alone are worth the price of admission. The crash logs on my phone showed a big reduction after 7.1 and I thought things ran smoother as well. I don't like the caps key either, but It's not a dealbreaker.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think generally, its a good move, I've not noticed anything negative with 7.1.2 and it does include some bug fixes as mentioned.

23. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Why does everyone keep talking about security updates? Who gets their phone hacked into??

24. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Does anyone notice less touch responsiveness?

25. C DM macrumors Westmere

Because if your car doesn't fully lock properly and no one has taken anything from it or taken it itself so far doesn't mean that you should continue having a broken lock and essentially leaving your car unlocked because of it, right?

----------

Touch responsiveness is the same.