Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Please be sure to mention anything and be specific, even if it didn't bother you. I have had a bad experience with updating and then regretting it.

Are there any issues with keyboard shortcuts not working?

Most importantly - are there any features they changed/removed/added?

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
As you must be aware staying on 7.0.4 is more of a risk than updating to the newest version. Critical issues have been fixed in iOS in the almost 8 months since 7.0.4 came out.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
As you must be aware staying on 7.0.4 is more of a risk than updating to the newest version. Critical issues have been fixed in iOS in the almost 8 months since 7.0.4 came out.

Gotcha, thanks. How about as far as functionality/features go?

Lefty21

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2012
Lexington, KY
Gotcha, thanks. How about as far as functionality/features go?
Here you can see all the documented changes between iOS 7.0.4 and 7.1.2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_history#iOS_7.x

CarPlay
Providing iOS control to in-car control systems on some car models by selected vendors from 2014.
Includes Siri integration (eyes-free/hands-free modes), satellite navigation, telephony, music, and iMessage integration.
iOS experience designed for the car (iPhone 5 and later).
Works by connecting a Lightning enabled iPhone to a CarPlay enabled vehicle.
Supports Phone, Messages, Maps, and audio apps (inc. Music and third-party).

Siri
Manually control when Siri listens by holding down the Home button while you speak, then releasing it when you're finished.
New, more natural sounding male and female voices for Chinese, UK English, Australian English, and Japanese.

iTunes Radio
Search field above Featured Stations to create stations based on Artist or Song.
Buy albums directly from the Now Playing screen.
Accessibility
Bold font option now includes the keyboard, calculator, and many icon glyphs.
Reduce Motion option now includes Weather, Messages, and multitasking UI animations.
New options to display button shapes, darken app colors, and reduce white point.
Calendar
Option to display event list with the month view.
Country specific holidays automatically added for many countries.
List view has been redesigned.

UI
Camera app has a new "HDR Auto" feature.
Photos & Camera tab in iOS Settings has a new "Upload Burst Photos" option.
You can disable Parallax effect independently of other animations when setting up wallpaper.
Notification Center now displays "No Notifications" and "No Missed Notifications" for the "All" and "Missed" sections respectively when there are no notifications.
Caller ID photos: no longer full screen, instead small circle portrait for incoming/outgoing calls.
New Yahoo logo, in both Notification Center and the Weather and Stocks apps.
A new dialogue "Touch ID requires your passcode when iPhone restarts" when restarting.
New iPad wallpapers.
"Touch ID and Passcode" has been moved-up to the main menu in Settings.
Animations and transitions are noticeably faster.
Keyboard has new Shift/Backspace key highlights.
Control Center has a new "spring" animation upon opening.
Control Center sliders — volume and brightness — have momentum.
Wi-Fi toggle in Control Center now black when Wi-Fi not available (greyed-out in Settings)
Icons for Phone, Messages and FaceTime apps have less vibrant colors.
Music app: Albums now in descending order when browsing by Artist.
Numerous changes that make iOS 7 whole, consistent. The Phone app has a new-look dialer.
The slide-to-power-off UI has been redesigned.

Bug Fixes/Improvements
Touch ID fingerprint recognition is improved.
Improved performance.
Fixes a home screen crash bug.
Fixes display of Mail unread badge for numbers greater than 10,000.
iCloud Keychain support in additional countries.
FaceTime call notifications, automatically clear when call answered on another device.
iBeacon improvements.
Patches 41 security exploits, including those used by the Evasi0n 7 jailbreak.

Bug fixes (7.1.1)
Stability and performance
Further improvements to Touch ID fingerprint recognitionP5S
Fixes a bug that could impact keyboard responsiveness
Fixes an issue when using Bluetooth keyboards with VoiceOver enabled

Bug Fixes/Improvements (7.1.2)
Improves iBeacon connectivity and stability
Fixes a bug with data transfer for some 3rd party accessories, including bar code scanners
Corrects an issue with data protection class of Mail attachments

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
Cool thanks. Lastly, anything specific that would improve performance/speed on a 4S? Or is this newer software going to slow it down?

Other than glitches that are specific to your particular device, which happen sometimes,, there are no known issues that would make your phone worse. 7.1 had an update to the animation speed which will make your phone feel faster if you have reduce motion turned off.

The only thing I can think of is some people have trouble completing the update, so they have to do a hard reset of their phone, but this is rare, and easy to fix.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Cool thanks. Lastly, anything specific that would improve performance/speed on a 4S? Or is this newer software going to slow it down?

I think you would have already incurred most of the big slowdown going from iOS 6 to iOS 7. This third digit increment is not going to result in any major degradation of your experience. Apple will introduce the next performance cliff at iOS 8.

Daniel3102

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2014
IT IS FAST!! Lol! Compared to 7.0.4, it is ver fast while opening apps and basically all of the animations.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
7.1 improves a fair bit as far as performance and stability goes, especially for slightly older phones.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
7.1 improves a fair bit as far as performance and stability goes, especially for slightly older phones.

I do wonder if battery life was a little better back in the 7.0x days, but maybe my battery was just newer then.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
FWIW, going from 7.0.6 to 7.1 and now 7.1.2, my phone runs noticeably faster and crashes have been relegated to a handful of apps that regularly crashed before. Then again, in my experience, each iteration of iOS 7 reduced the crashes and ran slightly smoother. I thought by the time iOS 7 reached 7.0.6, Apple had eliminated most of the major issues.

7.1 introduced some interface changes (including a few that I don't particularly like, such as the look of the new incoming call screen), but in my experience there's no drawback whatsoever to making the update. My phone runs noticeably faster and more reliably, and upgrading from 7.0.4 includes several important security updates.

The only issues to look out for would be changes to the settings that reduce battery life, such as enabling Bluetooth by default and changes to location services (beginning with 7.1.1). If you have location services enabled for all apps, you might want to look into selectively switching it off, since it now refreshes in the background.

----------

I do wonder if battery life was a little better back in the 7.0x days, but maybe my battery was just newer then.

I think it's a wash. Apple probably better optimized the battery drain after issues began appearing with 7.1. But, they also started allowing location services to update in the background with 7.1.1. Maybe you should switch off location services for those apps that really don't need it, and see if the battery drain changes.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
FWIW, going from 7.0.6 to 7.1 and now 7.1.2, my phone runs noticeably faster and crashes have been relegated to a handful of apps that regularly crashed before. Then again, in my experience, each iteration of iOS 7 reduced the crashes and ran slightly smoother. I thought by the time iOS 7 reached 7.0.6, Apple had eliminated most of the major issues.

7.1 introduced some interface changes (including a few that I don't particularly like, such as the look of the new incoming call screen), but in my experience there's no drawback whatsoever to making the update. My phone runs noticeably faster and more reliably, and upgrading from 7.0.4 includes several important security updates.

The only issues to look out for would be changes to the settings that reduce battery life, such as enabling Bluetooth by default and changes to location services (beginning with 7.1.1). If you have location services enabled for all apps, you might want to look into selectively switching it off, since it now refreshes in the background.

----------

I think it's a wash. Apple probably better optimized the battery drain after issues began appearing with 7.1. But, they also started allowing location services to update in the background with 7.1.1. Maybe you should switch off location services for those apps that really don't need it, and see if the battery drain changes.

What do you think about the change in coloration of the caps key? Sounds trivial but it is very distracting for some reason.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
What do you think about the change in coloration of the caps key? Sounds trivial but it is very distracting for some reason.

Yeah, that's one of the interface changes that I did not like. I eventually got used to it, but that and the revised incoming call screen are my two biggest quibbles. Minor details IMO compared to the improved reliability and security fixes. If you wind up with battery life issues, then look at the location services and background app refresh.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

The change wasn't an issue, the implementation is not to my liking from the beginning. Put a dot on it or something. The way it is now and was is counter intuitive.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Yeah, that's one of the interface changes that I did not like. I eventually got used to it, but that and the revised incoming call screen are my two biggest quibbles. Minor details IMO compared to the improved reliability and security fixes. If you wind up with battery life issues, then look at the location services and background app refresh.

Why do they constantly fix things that aren't broken? I don't notice any improvement in speed or stability. But I certainly notice that annoying caps key. I really am absolutely done with updates.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks about it, only what you think about it (if you even think about it at all).

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Why do they constantly fix things that aren't broken? I don't notice any improvement in speed or stability. But I certainly notice that annoying caps key. I really am absolutely done with updates.

Security updates alone are worth the price of admission. The crash logs on my phone showed a big reduction after 7.1 and I thought things ran smoother as well. I don't like the caps key either, but It's not a dealbreaker.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think generally, its a good move, I've not noticed anything negative with 7.1.2 and it does include some bug fixes as mentioned.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Security updates alone are worth the price of admission. The crash logs on my phone showed a big reduction after 7.1 and I thought things ran smoother as well. I don't like the caps key either, but It's not a dealbreaker.

Why does everyone keep talking about security updates? Who gets their phone hacked into??

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I think generally, its a good move, I've not noticed anything negative with 7.1.2 and it does include some bug fixes as mentioned.

Does anyone notice less touch responsiveness?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why does everyone keep talking about security updates? Who gets their phone hacked into??
Because if your car doesn't fully lock properly and no one has taken anything from it or taken it itself so far doesn't mean that you should continue having a broken lock and essentially leaving your car unlocked because of it, right?

----------

Does anyone notice less touch responsiveness?
Touch responsiveness is the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.