Is there any reason to own an ipod touch and an iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by splashnader, Aug 14, 2009.

1. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

I mean not to pee in anyone's cheerios, but it seems a bit redundant. Basically the iphone can do everything that the ipod touch can do, plus many other features that are lacking on the touch.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I think it is a bit redundant. Although perhaps they have their iPod Touch relegated to their car. I do think it would be more beneficial to have an iPod of a different type in addition to an iPhone, though.

3. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

i have both but it wasnt intentional. I had the ipod touch first, with a blackberry phone. the blackberry turned out to be a real bad deal. so I ditched it for an iphone. I will sell the ipod touch eventually. just not now as the market is flooded because of the free ipod touch with computer deal.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'd say you only want a Touch if you don't have a 16 GB or 32 GB (preferable) iPhone. The 8 GB's are just too small to really keep enough music on them. If you have the 2G or below or the 3G 8, then you probably need an iPod.

5. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Number 1, the price of replacing the iPhone if you damage it. I am referring to traveling abroad without cellular service in which case I would rather bring a Touch.

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I have both, but I had the touch first - mainly because only recently have I had the financial stability to afford the iPhone (even though Telstra's charging me and arm and a leg for it :(). I was planning on selling the touch, but have since decided to keep it. It's the 32GB model so I can fit all my music on there - on my iPhone I've only been able to fit my favourite music on (it's the 16GB 3GS). I use my iPod as my 'at home' music player, and use the iPhone just as the phone/internet device. When I go out somewhere, I just have my iPhone and use it for music too.

7. David-fr macrumors 6502

i have both i got a 32 GB touch after buying my 3GS 32GB..i keep the touch inside the glove box to have all my music in my head unit..as soon as I turn on my car iPhone conects via Bluetooth for phone calls..

8. mikey28 macrumors 6502

I actually have the iPod Touch, and a couple of other iPods in addition to the iPhone.
    I use the iPhone for everything now.

But I do keep an iPod hooked up in the car for music, and I have another iPod in the house for music/travel.

I think they're handy and I wouldn't sell them, even though I have everything on my iPhone.

9. iphoneftw macrumors 6502

i have both and i use them everyday
    ipod touch is my bed ipod
    and my iphone is for when i go out

10. nickrinaldi macrumors regular

I have iphone and ipod classic 80 gb

I do keep a good amount of music on my iphone, mostly my favorite music of the moment so i have it with me at all times. However my entire music collection is held on my ipod classic.

the iphone just doesnt have enough space and also i would not use it as my main ipod because when i'm driving in the car i dont want to waste its battery and have it hooked up to the car in case a call comes in. I listen to the ipod mostly when i'm driving.

i like having the good old classic as my mp3 player, unless the iphone comes out with at least 60 gigs of space and has triple the battery life, i cant see using it as my ipod and my phone all the time.

11. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (White, 32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I have both. My two year old uses te iPod most of the time but sometimes I need it for work - I use it to output video for presentations; I would use my 3GS but the battery life isn't great, so ...

12. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

I can't see any reason other than the reasons above.

With a 32GB phone, why would anyone need the touch?

13. spooned12000rpm macrumors regular

I got a touch for Xmas and instantly wished I'd got the iPhone but was still in contract for another year but when I got the phone I sold the iPod to my gf who loves it! I have a 2g nano for car duties cos it's small and still one of the best looking iPods of all time IMHO but I agree there's no point to own both, maybe if apple made a 64gb or bigger version then cost wise yes but it'd still be cheaper to but a classic cos really an iPod needs a click wheel, apple should have included that in the touch even if it was just a novelty option because the click wheel is the iPod!

14. jaycebeasley macrumors newbie

jaycebeasley

Used to have both. Sold the touch. Got the classic. 32GB is just not enough. Who am I kidding, even 120GB isn't enough.

15. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

the biggest reason i have an ipod is the sound quality is a lot better than the iphone.

Yes, i do notice.
    if you don't notice, all the decision should be base on is a space issue. Bear in mind you may have photos, video, apps etc which eat space.
    If you have a small collection, you could even justify spending enough for a top of the line 32gb iphone.

When quality is increaed up and iphone capacity goes up, i'll be using my iphone for music more.

16. uhhitsjames macrumors member

I had both. I bought a new MBP a couple months ago and used my educational discount, paid an extra $180 for the 32GB touch. Once apple sent me my $220 rebate, I put it up on Craigslist for $300. Worked out nicely.

17. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

I have a 1st gen 32g Touch, a 2nd Gen 32g Touch and a 3-week old 32g iPhone.

Got the 1st Gen two years ago this November and loved it. HAD to get the second Gen about a year later, and relegated the 1st Gen to a ermanent hook-up to my home stero system.

When it came time to get an iPhone (my trust Moro Flip bit the dust) I got it, now the 2nd gen is hooked up to the stereo and I intend to sell off or give away the 1st gen.

As for the one hooked to the stereo, I usually use it on Pandora or internet radio while tooling around the house, and I can keep my iPhone in my pocket.

So I have a clear use for owning a Touch and an iPhone. Frankly, I can't imagine not having one hooked up to the stereo "permanently", it's a must now.

Mike

18. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I can see:

iPhone & iPod Classic
    iPhone & iPod Shuffle
    iPod Touch & Basic cell phone

...but not too many reasons for a Touch and an iPhone.

Yes, I understand a few of the good reasons listed above, but but some of them are pretty niche and wouldn't apply to a ton of folks. For some of the other reasons here, I'd argue that one of my 3 reasons would actually be better having a Touch and an iPhone.

And no, I don't count I have a phone but keep a Touch for my kid since, well, that'd be 2 people using 2 devices and doesn't really count.

They're using the same electronics now, so if you're hearing a difference it's probably because the phone has all sorts of radio signals coming in and out of it. I wouldn't expect any future iPhones to come without the phone feature. So I wouldn't count on anything changing for you.

19. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

There's NO WAY you have a first gen 32GB iPod touch from TWO years ago. When the iPod touch first came out (September 2007), there was only 8GB and 16GB models. The 32GB model didn't come out until February 8th, 2008 (This is the same time Apple bumped the iPhone up from only 4GB and 8GB to 8GB and 16GB). Therefore, I don't know how you can claim that you got your 32GB iPod touch 2 years ago.

20. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

OK, so I'm off on my purchase date. I didn't commit it to exact memory. When I posted I thought I got in November 2007 (almost two years ago). I guess then, by what you say I must have gotten it in Feb 2008.

None the less, I have a 1st gen 32G, just was not sure of the purchase date. Sorry. :)

Mike

21. pinklovealways macrumors newbie

was a complete waste...

bought my ipod touch about three months prior to getting my iphone and that was the dumbest thing I ever did!

Such a waste of money since you can't even sell them now so I repackaged it and gave it to my son for his 6 year old birthday!

lucky boy...

22. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

I wouldn't see a reason to own a touch and a iPhone...maybe an iPhone and a iPod classic? But that's just me.

23. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I think it would be a waste, but if that's what someone whats I'm not going to say anything. If you get an iPhone then later a Touch that IMO is strange, BUT if you got a touch 1st then the iPhone then nothing you can do.

24. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I think it's definitely redundant being that the top touch and top iphone both have same capacity.

With an ipod classic at least it's 120GB.

25. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

That's how I use my first-gen iPod touch. The Apple-BMW iPod interface is installed inside the globe box (duh!) so it would be quite inconvenient to plug my iPhone in there. The interface would also not charge iPhone 3G / 3GS.