is there any way to actually silence my phone in iOS 8?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by sakau2007, Sep 11, 2014.

1. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

in iOS 7 i cant figure out a way to make my phone completely silent...

by that i mean when you click the home button on accident, even when the phone is on silent, it makes an audible sound.

i never found an option to get rid of that. no idea why that would be left out, but it seems like it was.

has this been changed (or i would argue, corrected) in iOS 8?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

The home button makes an audible sound (as in through the OS)? I can't say I've heard of that before. What sort of a sound does it make? Does it happen any time you press the home button, while the phone is locked or unlocked, in an app or outside of an app, etc.?

3. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Pretty sure he means Siri.

4. bkribbs macrumors 65816

If you are indeed talking about Siri, just activate it and hold volume down once it comes up and it will remain silent.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

That would be more than just a sound which hopefully the OP would have noticed and mentioned. Also would normally take more than a simple press of the home button too. But perhaps that's what was being referred to.
    Or just disable Siri from settings then.

6. The19th macrumors regular

I hope the OP is not talking about the actual physical "click" sound of the home button.

That's like asking a for a silent toggle for the physical clicking of keyboard keys or mouse button.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's the other thing that crossed my mind when I was reading the OP, which is why I asked those questions in my initial reply.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

9. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Wonder if the OP knows about the volume switch on the side.