Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Just got my 6S, and while I'm definitely beyond happy with the increased performance I'm encountering a whole host of new useless gimmicky features that started with either iOS 9 or 10 that I am scrambling to disable as they are simply completely unnecessary and slow down my user experience or are in the way. Features like widgets, pressing the home button twice instead of sliding to unlock, and the horrid new Messages. What the hell did they do to it? This etchasketch feature and recents/pics are just completely pointless and unnecessary. Is there any way to disable these? I'd have to say this is my main gripe with apple, forcing new useless features on us with no option to disable them.

Other than that though I am very pleased with the significant boost in speed.

Last edited:

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Features like widgets

Settings > Touch ID & Passcode

Turn "today view" off. This will disable widgets from the lock screen.

pressing the home button twice instead of sliding to unlock

Settings > General > Accessibility > Home button

Turn "Rest Finger to open" on. This should restore the original function of the home button with Touch ID.

I don't use any of these new functions, but I don't think they're in the way(except for the new home button functionality. That's just idiotic.)

I am curious about your title question though. What icons on the lock screen are you referring to? Screen shot?

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
You can set it so that simply resting your finger in the TouchID unlocks the phone, so that you don't have to press it twice. As for widgets, you could just remove them all. I'm not really sure about the other features that you mention. I know there are new features in the message app, but you can simply not use them. I forgot that the "etchasketch" as you call it, was even a thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.