Is there any way to disable that Siri alert sound?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by sakau2007, Apr 25, 2013.

1. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

The one that it makes when you first activate Siri, then it listens for you, then makes another sound when it's done. I'm sure we've all been in class, or at work, or in church, or wherever and heard that Siri tone. Is there no way to turn it off? It doesn't happen to me often, but I'd really like for it to be silent when my phone is on silent.

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Hold the button, launch Siri, while open, lower the volume.

3. jackoat macrumors newbie

Doesn't that lower her volume as well? Regardless, for me, that confirmation tone is quite useful as a cue to start talking (in the case of hands free use) and a good confirmation that the request was received. Of course, what she does in between and often comes back with is a mystery at times :)

4. Oui macrumors 6502

No its an individual sound control for Siri.
    If done as cyks states.

5. jackoat macrumors newbie

I tried it and I can't hear Siri's response. Yes, it turns off the confirmation tone, but it turned off her voice as well. Did I misunderstand?

6. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Considering the OP was talking about in class, work, or church, I guessed that they meant it going off accidentally and not that they were actually trying to use it at the time.

7. jackoat macrumors newbie

Got it. I thought they meant disable just the tone.

8. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

There is a way that involves jailbreak and that would be either deleting or replacing (not sure if deleting would work) the CAF files at
    Code:
    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AssistantServices.framework/

It's basically the same old trick as disabling the annoying shutter sound on the iPod Touch and so on...

9. tonyr6 macrumors 6502a

tonyr6

Making your iPhone hover requires a jailbreak. Pathetic it is that Apple restricts the iDevices so much. :mad::apple:

10. bozzykid macrumors 68020

I guess I don't see much point in using Siri if you are trying to silence the sounds. I mean you still have to give a audible command.

11. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Going by the OP, most people don't choose to use Siri in a church or at work/ school, but can accidentally set it off with the home button being pressed.... which would be a good reason to have it silenced.

12. Vector -1 macrumors newbie

Happened to me when checking cricket scores from Australia on iPhone 5 at 4.40. Wife awake for rest of night.
    Turn off Siri tone by holding home button until it beebs and turn down volume with buttons. Now I know!

13. E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Does that also apply to the dictation button on the lower left of the keyboard as well, which makes a similar sound if pressed (accidentally or not)?

15. Stefansalvatore macrumors newbie

Siri is a core part of iOS and runs in the background all the time. If you’re not using it then it’s best to turn it off. Head over to Settings > General > Siri and turn it off.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

That disables the feature not just the sound it makes that someone might not care for.

----------

Seems like that works for the dictation button too, which is nice. The downside I guess is that you can't really hear Siri when you do want to use it and hear it, so potentially just a lot of volume changing.

17. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

Turning off Siri activates Voice Control, which makes the same sound.