Is there any way to get an unlimited (or double your data) plan for the Verizon iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by b24pgg, Apr 16, 2012.

1. b24pgg macrumors 65816

So far I haven't seen any good news regarding this but I'm wondering if anyone knows a way to get unlimited data or possibly the 4G Smartphone Double Data promotion for the 4G iPad on Verizon?

2. jarrettz macrumors newbie

If you have unlimited data on a 4g phone (i.e. galaxy nexus) just put the sim from the phone in the iPad. You iPad is not going to receive calls though.. :(

There was a loophole to get all verizon phone who were on tiered plans to the grandfathered unlimited plan but that hole has been sealed up.

Regarding iPad plans specifically, I don't believe Verizon, unlike AT&T, ever offered unlimited data on their iPad plans.

3. Jessemtz25 macrumors regular

Jessemtz25

The double data thing doesn't apply to the iPad.

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Please, the major carriers know what a huge cash cow they are sitting with LTE data on mobile devices. They are gonna ride that cow all the way to the bank--and it's a long trip.

5. Dkorda macrumors 6502

So basic cell service ($30??) plus unlimited data plan $30 makes this work??? In other words $60/mo for unlimited LTE SIM card on Verizon???

As much as I prefer Veizon over AT&T, this is pricey. Unless you know another way?

I don't have to worry, have an unlimited AT&T account for $30, just curious the real world costs around a Verizon unlimited deal.

6. b24pgg thread starter macrumors 65816

Ooh good point...I suppose theoretically the cheapest way using this method would be $40 a month if you're on a family plan. Add an additional line ($10), add the unlimited data plan (or if not, at least the double data) ($30), request a 4G SIM for the new line (can you do that?), then install it in the iPad.

7. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

Except if you don't already have unlimited AT&T iPad data, it'll cost you $700 on EBay. Verizon iPad data also includes hotspot for free. AT &T doesn't.

8. Dkorda macrumors 6502

Today I have unlimited talk, text, web on Verizon.. Runs $135 range. Can I add a line for $10 on that? I don't think I can. On top of that, I can only add a tierd data plan to this additional line, $30 unlimited is history as of August 2011.

9. b24pgg thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah that's true unfortunately. Techiegirl brought up an interesting point...there are Verizon unlimited data lines for sale on eBay for ~$200 (and I'd imagine that they will continually be going up) that you can port to your own account apparently, but that doesn't seem worth it to me.