Is there any way to get current unlocked phones replaced for the new AWS iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mossme89, Mar 29, 2013.

1. mossme89 macrumors 6502

I really want to get the new A1428 iPhone 5 that supports T-Mobile AWS. But I don't know if there's any way to get Apple of replacing it, short of either breaking my phone on purpose (which I clearly don't want to do) or raising a stink over that feature in my phone being disabled (which won't do much in all likelihood.) Anybody have an idea of how to get my phone replaced?

I live in an area with a lot of AWS HSPA, but only a little PCS HSPA. So AWS HSPA would be great.

2. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

NO, tmobile AWS phones need to be purchased, the current ip5 doesn't support AWS.

oh so you want applecare to replace it? i think applecare+ does handle accidental damages so if you "accidentally" cracked your screen they will replace it. Now, i have a feeling they will replace it with another unlocked phone like yours, not an AWS tmobile phone. it's kinda like if you have a verizon ip5 that you broke, well they won't replace it with an Att ip5.

3. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Your only choice is to sell your current one and buy the T-Mobile one.

4. mossme89 thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess I'll just sell it and buy the T-Mobile one :/

5. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

well how bout u find it out yourself then... from what i know applecare+ is the iphone warranty that covers 2 accidental damage. it's not free, you have to pay for it extra on top of your 1 year factory warranty that doesn't cover accidental damage. I don't know if it's available to you.

6. B... macrumors 68000

B...

7. mossme89 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll probably just end up ordering a new unlocked phone. So if Apple begins shipping new enabled unlocked phones on the 12th, does that mean it will be guaranteed to have AWS enabled, or do you think the stock of the two models will be intermixed?

8. boshii, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013

boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

You would have to specify which phone you want when you purchase it.

The older model is being phased out so the closer to the 12th you purchase, the better the chance that you get an older model.

9. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

if you buy before april 12, then it's not AWS enabled tmobile phone... go buy after and make sure it's AWS.