Is there any way to get Snow Leopard-like Spaces on Lion/Mountain Lion?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mossme89, Sep 27, 2012.

1. mossme89 macrumors 6502

I'm still on Snow Leopard for 1 simple reason: Spaces. I usually have many windows open at once and like how in Snow Leopard, the spaces are already set up for me, tiled vertically/horizontally to my configuration.

I tried Lion for a couple months and could never get used to the new way Spaces was handled through Mission Control. I didn't like how I had to click the + button to open a new Space and how they were tiled horizontally with just one row.

So is anyone else in my situation, and is there any way to re-enable old Spaces animations and tiling in Lion or Mountain Lion?

2. Baklava macrumors 6502a

Baklava

This is one of the reasons why I still use Snow Leopard. I couldn't find any Spaces-replacement on Lion & Mountain Lion. Sorry Apple, Mission Control really sucks (for me at least).

3. gumblecosby macrumors 6502

TotalSpaces is a 3rd party program that tries to replicate Spaces from Snow Leopard. It's still in an open beta which can be downloaded from here:
    http://totalspaces.binaryage.com

Here is are 2 example screen shots showing Spaces activated and then Spaces with Expose activated (note: the black background can be changed in settings) :

Attached Files:

4. Baklava macrumors 6502a

Baklava

I was looking for something like that for such a long time. Thank you!

Could you share your opinion if you use it? How is it compared to the original Spaces in SL? If it's as stable as Spaces, I am one step closer to upgrading to ML. :)

5. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

I'm hesitiating whether to buy a 2nd monitor for my setup because of the way ML handles fullscreen apps.

Wonder if TotalSpaces can fix that for me, justifying a spanking new purchase. :p