Is there any way to install PCIE flash base storage on Non-Retina MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djfmf, Jan 22, 2014.

1. djfmf macrumors member

I wasn't sure if there was an adaptor such as a pcie flash to 2.5 hdd that you can install on Non-Retina Macbook Pros. I currently have a Corsair Force GT 128gb SSD which is good enough for the time being. But later on I'm looking to upgrade my SSD with a large size one, maybe even go Raid 0, but these new PCIE flash base hard drives in the new macs are making me wonder if it's possible with an older computer.

2. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

There's no point. They are very expensive, and the older computers can't take advantage of their increased speed.

3. simsaladimbamba

No way, as only S-ATA interface options are available.
    Also know, that smaller storage capacity SSDs have lower write and read speeds, thus a 256 GB and 512 GB SSD will be faster for those sequential read and write speeds.

4. djfmf thread starter macrumors member

ok, that is what i needed to know.

I did know the larger SSD were faster and had longer life, i just wanted to see if pcie were possible. but i'll be going the larger ssd and/or raid zero route.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's not possible in a reasonable budget. Different interface technology.

It's possible if you have unlimited funds.

6. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

...to buy a new laptop.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well if you have unlimited funds, I'm pretty sure you can get it to work on an old computer too ;)

8. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Looking at the wiring diagram of the 2012 15" rMBP MoBo (820-3332), I have the feeling, that the connector provided on the motherboard carries both 1 SATA and 1 PCIe lane, plus a SATA/PCIe selection pin.
    The serial lanes are controlled by a CBTL02043A 3.3 V, 2 differential channel, 2 : 1 multiplexer/demultiplexer switch for PCI Express Gen3
    That creates a lot of questions, obviously.
    Eg. if a PCIe card would work in a 2012/early-2013 machine???
    I haven't got around to comparing the physical connectors yet, and I only could do that comparing the iFixit pictures as I have no PCIe SSD at hand.