Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

braeburnbliss

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
I've tried everything but cannot figure it out.

I just want to take some photos and put them in a custom album, and then remove them from the Camera Roll and everywhere else. So you can only see the photos if you go to that album.

This seems impossible as it just treats Camera Roll as every photo taken and there is no way to change it. Very frustrating. I hope there is a way!

Thanks.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
You can install Readdle Documents and copy the photos into there, then delete them from the Camera roll.

There's other apps like Goodreader that can do this, but Documents is free.

braeburnbliss

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
You can install Readdle Documents and copy the photos into there, then delete them from the Camera roll.

There's other apps like Goodreader that can do this, but Documents is free.

This is actually perfect for what I want. I was worried I wouldn't be able to access the photos from other apps then (like attaching to email) but they work fine. Thank you!

playinpearls

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2014
I believe you can copy the photo and paste it into a note. Then put a password on the note and delete from the camera roll.

if you are trying to keep it secure of course. The note doesn't HAVE to have a password...

Reactions: Antonio Blanco

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
It's built into iOS 10. Just go to a picture, and select Hide. It will remove the picture from your Moments, Collections and Years and add it to an album titled Hidden that's only available in the Albums tab. Easy.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
I've tried everything but cannot figure it out.

I just want to take some photos and put them in a custom album, and then remove them from the Camera Roll and everywhere else. So you can only see the photos if you go to that album.

This seems impossible as it just treats Camera Roll as every photo taken and there is no way to change it. Very frustrating. I hope there is a way!

Thanks.

What do you mean by the camera roll? Hiding them like was mentioned above will hide them from the photos & memories tab. It will also hide them from favorites, People, places, videos, selfies, panoramas, depth effect, & screenshots on the albums tab. By doing so it adds them to the hidden album... There is no way to hide anything in the all photos album...

I'm not 100% but if you're not using iCloud photo syncing I think the all photos album is still called camera roll... but it's essentially the same thing as the all photos album for people who are using iCloud photos and I assume that it behaves the same way in that you cannot hide photos from it.

All Photos / Camera Roll is not meant to be your main area for viewing photos... It is an album to view all of the photos that are in your photo library and is ordered by the date that they were added to your photo library. The photos tab is meant to be the main place for viewing photos. They are arranged by the date that the photo was taken regardless if it was taken on your phone or imported from another device (as long as that device can write that type of data).

Last edited:

braeburnbliss

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
It's built into iOS 10. Just go to a picture, and select Hide. It will remove the picture from your Moments, Collections and Years and add it to an album titled Hidden that's only available in the Albums tab. Easy.

This does not remove or hide from Camera Roll.

Kind of pointless if you ask me. I don't care about moments/collections/etc and don't use them.
[doublepost=1475080880][/doublepost]
All Photos / Camera Roll is not meant to be your main area for viewing photos... It is an album to view all of the photos that are in your photo library and is ordered by the date that they were added to your photo library.

This is the problem. I just want to HIDE some pictures from the "all photos". It is impossible without a 3rd party app. I wish there was a little more privacy settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.