Is there any way to transfer Saved App Game Data to the iPhone 4 without a backup?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SethRogen, Jun 16, 2010.

1. SethRogen macrumors 6502

Is there any way to transfer Saved App Game Data to the iPhone 4 without a backup?
    There are a couple games on my iPhone where I have loads of saved game data including Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2. Ugh... I had to do so many goals to get farther on that game and I have a couple racing games with a lot of saved data, and some general games.
    I wanted to start the new iPhone 4 from scratch with the new original settings, and start from scratch with my contacts, texts, etc.
    There are about 5 or 6 games I really want my saved data for.
    If I transfer them to my iMac, I will lose my saved data for sure, right?
    So besides a backup, is there any way I can keep my saved app game data?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Not that I know of. You could possibly edit the backup .db files, but I've not seen anyone doing this for game saves.

3. SethRogen thread starter macrumors 6502

4. SethRogen thread starter macrumors 6502

5. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Hmm, that's a tough man.

If there's a couple games in particular you really care, maybe try contacting the dev. Maybe they have some specific steps you can take.

But generally - it seems like games saves are all tied up with your backup.

6. coasterswim macrumors 6502

Aren't app backups saved on a per-app basis? I can't be sure, but I remember seeing almost 100 GUID folders in my the folder for my iPhone backup (on Windows). If that's the case, you could track down the apps you want to restore and copy them over to your new iPhone 4's backup folder (after you back it up once) and then restore the iPhone 4 from that newly modified backup.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Those are just the app executable files. The actual games saves are in the backup. If you're jailbroken, you might be able to save whatever file is being used on the iPhone to capture the game saves, but I don't know what that is, since I've never worried about it.

8. coasterswim macrumors 6502

I think the only place the app executables are stored in in the iTunes folder and have a ".ipa" extension, right? Those aren't what I'm talking about.

9. SethRogen thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok. I think I better stop playing this certain game before I get any further.
    And the other games ... oh well....
    I wish when the apps go transfer back to iTunes, they at least have a copy of your saved game data.
    It really sucks starting over from scratch.
    Thanks for the help.

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yes, I thought you were referring to the .ipa files. So, what are you referring to? It's not clear from your post, but on the computer game saves are only in the backup.

11. tigress666 macrumors 68040

You know, I gotta agree. It would be nice if I could uninstall Myst from my iphone cause I finished the game, but I do still want the saved game(s) so it stays on.

That really should be in one of the iOS upgrades.

12. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

I'm in the same boat. I'd like to start fresh on my new iPhone but dont want to loose some save games... There should be a way to select what you want to restore :mad:

I just found this http://www.icopybot.com/itunes-backup-manager.htm
    Looks like it can open your itunes backup file and modify it... Then, I guess it would be possible to only keep apps you want...
    I'm going through it atm... If you try it, tell me if it works.

13. coasterswim macrumors 6502

I have a folder located at:

C:\Users\[me]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

Called something along the lines of:

963sdf83490df343089fgd84454533543

I also have a folder beside it called:

963sdf83490df343089fgd84454533543-20091209-193100

Obviously, the first is the most recent backup of my iPhone and the second is a backup of the same iPhone on 3.0 on 12/09/2009

Each folder contains no less than 8,439 files. Half are .mddata and half are .mdinfo. I'm sure that one of more of these file pairs are the data for just one application (say, Doodle Jump). Identifying them, though, could prove tricky.

14. Untaken macrumors member

If you can jailbreak, use an app called DataDeposit. All you do is link it to a Dropbox account and select the app(s) you want to backup. It saves each app backup in its own zip file on your Dropbox account, then after you restore and install the apps you just install DataDeposit again and restore from said Dropbox account. Easy!