Is there any way to use AirPlay on an iPad only with specific applications?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by shoehornhands, May 5, 2015.

1. shoehornhands macrumors regular

When using AirPlay for audio, is there any way to set AirPlay locally (app specific) as opposed to globally (where the iPad uses AirPlay for everything)?

In other words, while listening to music in iTunes via AirPlay (streaming to a wireless speaker), is there any way you can simultaneously use the iPad speaker with another app?

The person using this iPad has a disability and relies on the iPad for communication (via a speech app).

They also use the iPad for entertainment and every time they use the speech app while streaming via airplay, the music shuts off and the speech app goes through the wireless speaker (instead of the iPad speaker).

I tried looking through all the settings and couldn't find a way to do this, but I'm not all that familiar with the iPad.

If anybody could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

2. shoehornhands thread starter macrumors regular

Anybody have any ideas?

Is AirPlay basically just a global option (i.e. when AirPlay is enabled, do you have to use AirPlay for everything), or is there a way I can set the speech app to use the iPad speaker while iTunes is using AirPlay (streaming to a wireless speaker)?

Thanks

3. foghat macrumors member

I can't speak to whether this is possible to code an app that way. But out of the box, I don't see a way that could be done.

Another option - while perhaps not ideal - would be to play/airplay the itunes music from a pc/mac and use the Remote app on the ipad for music control. This should free up the ipad speaker for other things.

4. shoehornhands thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks foghat, I really appreciate the info. I was sort of thinking that would be the case (as I said, I played around with it for quite awhile and couldn't figure it out), but I'm not all that familiar with the iPad / AirPlay so I was thinking I might be missing something.

I hadn't really considered using the iPad along with the remote app though. We actually do have another computer (although it's a PC, not a Mac) that we could use so I'll have to look into it. Assuming I can get the other computer to work with the speaker, I'm thinking that might be a pretty decent alternative.

5. foghat macrumors member

If the PC has wifi, it should work fine from Itunes using airplay.

I actually use an airport express with my non-wifi pc and have the speaker connected to the airport express and the airport express connected to the network via lan cable. Works great with itunes on the pc.

6. ozaz macrumors 65816

As far as I know, there is no way to set AirPlay to be app specific.

I think Foghat's suggestion is a good workaround, but would require you to have the PC/Mac switched on whenever you wanted to listen to music. Also, I think it might limit you to just iTunes-based content?

An alternative suggestion, if you are open to changing your music streaming setup in your home, would be to switch to Sonos (or similar system). This does not tie up the audio on your iOS device at all and does not require a PC/Mac to be switched on, but would require you to replace your AirPlay audio receivers with Sonos speakers or Sonos Connect device.

7. foghat macrumors member

You could use Rdio as well. It allows for the iphone Rdio app to control whatever is playing on Rdio on the computer. Sonos is great, but it will cost some coin.

8. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

If you put a PC in the mix, you can add a program called Airfoil to stream to any or all AirPlay receivers from any audio source. The upside to Rdio and Spotify is that their native iOS apps can control what is playing on the computer.

You can also stream directly from a NAS like Synology without needing a computer in the mix because it has AirPlay built into the NAS. An Appletv could also work without a computer using iTunes Match or any of their music apps and send the audio to the AirPlay speaker.