Is there ANY way to use an iMac 27 (2011) as external monitor for a laptop PC?

Tibo2004

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2015
NYC
Hi, I know you can use the iMac in target display mode with macbook pros, or macbook airs... I also understand that it can not work with a non-apple laptop.

I am just wondering if anyone has been able to achieve this. Bring a PC laptop and use the iMac as external display.

Any alternatives, even software, would help me. Otherwise I will just sell the iMac, buy an external display that can accept anything, and buy a mac mini for my mac needs... but it is really not an exciting proposition. I wish I could just connect my work PC to my imac...

Thanks for your help,

Tibo

jonblatho

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2014
Missouri
If I recall correctly, the cable must be Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt. There could be some ungodly combination of adapters that may work, though.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hi, I know you can use the iMac in target display mode with macbook pros, or macbook airs... I also understand that it can not work with a non-apple laptop.

I am just wondering if anyone has been able to achieve this. Bring a PC laptop and use the iMac as external display.

Any alternatives, even software, would help me. Otherwise I will just sell the iMac, buy an external display that can accept anything, and buy a mac mini for my mac needs... but it is really not an exciting proposition. I wish I could just connect my work PC to my imac...

Thanks for your help,

Tibo
If you're running a Pro variant of Windows, you can download Microsoft RDC (free App Store app) and connect to your Windows system. It'll run at your iMac's native resolution and behaves like a native machine, assuming that both are connected over Gigabit Ethernet.

Tibo2004

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2015
NYC
If you're running a Pro variant of Windows, you can download Microsoft RDC (free App Store app) and connect to your Windows system. It'll run at your iMac's native resolution and behaves like a native machine, assuming that both are connected over Gigabit Ethernet.
Thanks for feedback, I beleive the RDC option is pretty nice. Unfortunately, I am using my work PC and the firewall/security settings I need to change are blocked by my IT administrator at work... I doubt he will let me change that :) It looks like a good alternatives.

Best,

Tibo