Is there ANY way to view video file star ratings on a Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by blue2gnt, Dec 7, 2010.

1. blue2gnt macrumors newbie

I've been digging around this issue for 2 days now and it appears as though there is no way to browse my collection of videos on my mac according to the ratings I've given them. I have around 5Tb of video that I queue up and watch all the time on my HTPC or my Desktop PC. When I try to play videos on my Macbook, I can only browse them in Finder by Filename, Date, Size, Kind, Version, etc. So if, for example, I want to jump into my "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" folder and queue up just the episodes I have rated 5 stars, I can't do so. I was not expecting my transition to Mac to present so many headaches :(

Things I have tried and found to not work:
    1) iTunes. Can't play .AVI, so about 90% of my videos can't be browsed in the iTunes library. This would have been such a perfect solution, since I know iTunes inside-out, and love iTunes.
    2) Quicktime. I have the Flip4Mac and Perian add-ons. The problem: Quicktime doesn't appear to have any kind of library in it in which to add, sort and browse the files. :eek: What is that about? I've never seen a media player that has no library function. Am I just missing it somewhere? Maybe the intention was for it to share the iTunes library? Well it doesn't do that effectively due to problem #1 above.
    3) VLC. Library doesn't support star ratings
    4) File conversion. Before anyone recommends this, just...no. I am not interested in converting 5Tb worth of video that is perfectly fully-functional on any computer other than a Mac. I don't have the space, transcoding it would ruin the quality, and it would take 3 years to do. Not to mention I'd have to manually copy over all the star ratings, and each new video I downloaded (which in all likelihood would be another AVI file) would have to be converted.
    5) Pathfinder. I looked into this as a workaround for some of the other file functionality that Finder is egregiously missing, but I don't think star ratings is one of the things Pathfinder has addressed yet.
    6) Container files. I am aware of the option to create container files of all my video. (Using QT Pro or others). I'd really like to save that for desperation-level solution as I'd have to store that container library somewhere, maintain it, create new containers for every video I add to my collection (which is dozens a week), and transfer all the star ratings from the original file to the container file for every video.

Seriously, is there anything else? Is my only option for viewing my video library by star rating going to require running BootCamp so that I can just use Windows Media Player the way I do now? Or is there a Mac-compatible video player out there that has a library feature with star-rating functionality?

Thanks in advance!

2. sapateira macrumors newbie

This is how

There's a solution that's available for iTunes for windows.
    Try to run it on Boot Camp or Parallels for your iTunes library on MSWindows.
    Download it here: http://www.orzeszek.org/dev/ratings/