Is there anything I can do on my iPhone 5 that I couldnt do on an iPhone 4????

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FooArk, Sep 25, 2012.

1. FooArk macrumors 6502

2. VMMan, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012

VMMan macrumors 6502a

LTE speed
    3D maps
    Better battery life
    Better voice calling
    Easier to get that rustic worn-out look :)

Lots others

3. EricSjos macrumors member

Panorama photos is a feature only available on the 4S and the 5.

4. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

5. noobinator macrumors 601

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

No you can easily get by on a 4, but the 5 has many improvements over both the 4 and the 4S.

7. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Not really. Well actually turn-by-turn in the new maps app.

You can just do everything you did before faster and better.

Apps load faster, photos/videos are much better quality, you see more content inside of apps without scrolling, much faster data speeds, better noise cancellation during calls, better speakers, and a few other things.

This is a bit of a loaded question though, as it has been the same for every iPhone generation.The 4 does not necessarily "do more" than the 3G, it just does it better (Other than video recording, which it can't do.) Same with pretty much every Android device even compared to iOS. There isn't really anything more they can do, they just do things differently.

8. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

9. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

In reality there aren't many new functions. I've updated to the new iPhone every year for the last several releases. The iPhone 5 really gives you:

1. More screen space for reading text and seeing photos. It also helps with streaming video.

2. A thinner and lighter phone. My holster broke four months ago and I never got a new one. I've been holding my 4S in my pocket and with the 5 it's thinner which is nice. I still expect to purchase a holster because it's easier. But, the thinner phones does make a difference.

3. LTE is fast. I'm in DC where there's plenty of coverage and I can say LTE is easily x5 faster than 3G. I was on ATT and moved to VZ with the 5, it amazes me how quick everything loads. But, at home and the office I use WiFi.

4. If you take low light photos often then the 5 is slightly better. But, it's not a make/break upgrade.

5. One negative is the lack of YouTube app and Google Maps. While Apple has over 1500 people working on their maps app, it is no where close as good as Google Maps. This is one app I miss very much.

Overall, the 5 isn't a major breakthrough from the 4S. My wife still has the 4S and honestly there is no real difference besides the screen and phone size.

10. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

Honestly, the screen is much more than just bigger. The in cell display is gorgeous and vibrant.

On another note, the speed difference is remarkable and I have had much better battery life than my 4S ever dreamt of having.

11. WHM macrumors regular

12. Deako macrumors 6502

You do realise the YouTube app is available on the App Store? However, the mobile web app offers the same functionality anyway.

13. youspork macrumors newbie

The 4 is 2 generations behind, within the next year, there could be alot of apps or software updates that do not include that the 4 in those upgrades.

14. appswipe macrumors 6502

You can now see Five emails on screen instead of a lame and pitiful four.

15. stuaz macrumors 6502

Only if you can get it :) Not all countries can/same frequencies etc :eek:

16. burnside macrumors 6502

17. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Not lag have, it run smoothly, not have it pause as it thinks for a bit, run games smoothly. The iPhone 5 Is way faster than the iPhone 4 making it a much more pleasant experience to use overall.

18. 499357 Guest

Nobody's mentioned a big one for me, FaceTime over 3G!:)

19. macfly4 macrumors member

macfly4

What about the books app? i have a 4s and cant stand how long it takes to load the bookshelf contents. is this noticeably faster on the 5?

20. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

21. RyanTheGeneral macrumors regular

Something I didn't see here.

Take photos while recording video.

Everything else I believe was mentioned.

22. Eganwp macrumors newbie

23. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Bigger screen, LTE, better camera, better display, snappier. Main differences.

I think the 5 is a worthy upgrade if you currently have a 4, if you have a 4S, not really. We all know this is the same every year. Last year when the 4 came out, the 4S wasn't that worthy of upgrading from the 4, but if you had a 3G/GS, then it was.

Every 2 years people, best bang for your buck, and if you upgrade every 2 years the upgrade feels 5X better.

24. meistervu macrumors 65816

Turn by turn nav is available on the iP4

all you have to do is buy an app. I have been using Navigon for a couple of years now.

On the other hand, with all the bad publicity of Apple's Maps, I still prefer it to Navigon for the following reasons:

1. Siri in interface is flawless for me so far. I tried it several time in real life situation, the first time to get to a restaurant (saying "directions to restaurant_name in near_by_town_name") worked on the first trial. The same is true for direction to a contact name.

2. I found Maps presentation is cleaner.

3. It's simpler to quit Maps when you are done. Huh? well, the silly Navigon app will keep running in the background and runs your battery down unless you quit it. But the exit button is buried a few layer deep. I wrote to Navigon to complain to no avail.